Analog compass advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blueskies_up_ahead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I searched the forum but surprisingly didn't really find much. So here we go: I want to buy a compass. A lot of people seem to recommend the Suunto SK 7 or 8. But I also read a lot of reviews saying the needle doesn't stay put. My local dive shop has the Aqualung compass. It also has a 30° inclination (or whatever you call it). So looks similar to me. Does anybody have that compass and can recommend it (or not)?

Generally speaking, I was initially planning to put the compass on a retractor. At least currently I don't really need the compass so it would be out of the way. In my OWD we didn't do much navigation but in the short bit we did, I found having the compass on my wrist unpractical. It was hard to get it horizontal and it kept moving around. I imagine having it in my hand would be easier / more stable. But then I stumbled upon some youtube video that showed that the retractor of the Suunto got magnitized. Is that a common issue? Also with the Aqualung?

Any other recommendations are welcome of course. I live in Europe (Germany), so please only locally available brands.

Thanks!

The Aqualung compass is fine. Nothing special (but then again, most compasses aren't that special).

About retractors though, I'm not a fan. Most of the retractors I have used were broken (didn't roll up anymore) after using it 3 times.

You could have a look at something like the Mares Handy compass. Put it on a boltsnap and you can hang it anywhere. You keep it in your hand while navigating. Tilt angle is less of an issue if you keep the compass in your hand.

IMHO : Suunto or Aqualung - depends of local pricing and availability of bungee mount.
Me use bungee-mounted Suunto, weared on opposite glove against canister light head,
so magnetic switch and light driver didn't interfere with compass.
I didn't recommend retractor if compass navigation is common issue.

I carry a compass mounted on my buddy regulator line (about 1/3rd of the way between the mouth piece and the 1st stage regulator (so its closer to the mouth piece than the pressure regulator (1st stage))), the buddy line is longer than my regular line and allows me to grab the compass and hold it out in front of me to navigate (without disconnecting the buddy mouthpiece from my BCD), when done I just let go of the line and it falls back down alongside my BCD (the mouthpiece is clipped to my regulator as I do NOT allow anything to hang down in case it gets caught on something). Down side is it might be difficult to navigate in an emergency when my buddy line could be in use, but at that point, I suspect we are just going up (controlled) to the surface, not navigating!! Just a thought.

Try it on the back of your hand with a bungee mount. I'd look for something lower profile than this, but it gives you the idea:

compas2.webp

The Aqualung compass is fine. Nothing special (but then again, most compasses aren't that special).

About retractors though, I'm not a fan. Most of the retractors I have used were broken (didn't roll up anymore) after using it 3 times.

You could have a look at something like the Mares Handy compass. Put it on a boltsnap and you can hang it anywhere. You keep it in your hand while navigating. Tilt angle is less of an issue if you keep the compass in your hand.
Thanks, that does look interesting. Have you used the Mares compass and can give a review? The idea of simply clipping it on to a D ring in any way (be it a retractor, but one I can choose), sounds nice. Both Aqualung and Suunto only seem to work with their own retractors and I can't find any info about them.
Try it on the back of your hand with a bungee mount. I'd look for something lower profile than this, but it gives you the idea:

compas2.webp
Thanks. I think I'd prefer to have it stowed away somewhere, at least for dives where I don't need it that much. Even if I can make it work on the back of my hand. I know a lot of divers use it the way you pictured but I guess it would feel in my way when I don't need it all the time.
However, since this is a Suunto, have you encountered the problem with the needle? Is this an SK 7 or SK8 and can you compare?

Have you used the Mares compass and can give a review?
Afraid not. There are a couple of these kinds of compasses around. Oceanic Aeris Compass with 'clip mount' is one, the Mares Handy is one, there may be others.

Personally, I use the digital compass in my dive computer mostly. in navigation-heavy dives I bring my Scubapro FS-2 compass too. But it's quite expensive and not easily attached to a D-ring. For me, attachment to a D-ring isn't really relevant, since I don't have an issue keeping and using the compass on my wrist.

Thanks, that does look interesting. Have you used the Mares compass and can give a review? The idea of simply clipping it on to a D ring in any way (be it a retractor, but one I can choose), sounds nice. Both Aqualung and Suunto only seem to work with their own retractors and I can't find any info about them.

Thanks. I think I'd prefer to have it stowed away somewhere, at least for dives where I don't need it that much. Even if I can make it work on the back of my hand. I know a lot of divers use it the way you pictured but I guess it would feel in my way when I don't need it all the time.
However, since this is a Suunto, have you encountered the problem with the needle? Is this an SK 7 or SK8 and can you compare?
The image is from a Google search. The source says it's an SK-8. Printables

I do use a bungee mount compass, but it's from Piranha in Florida Compass Bungee Mount Combo Kit w/ bungee mount , Piranha Dive Shop | . It might be cheap enough to be worth paying for the shipping? It works fine, but I've never attempted any precise navigation with it.

Having it on the hand is very nice if you are using it. But if you aren't planning on doing much navigating during the dive, you can carry it further up the wrist (or in a pocket).

I searched the forum but surprisingly didn't really find much. So here we go: I want to buy a compass. A lot of people seem to recommend the Suunto SK 7 or 8. But I also read a lot of reviews saying the needle doesn't stay put. My local dive shop has the Aqualung compass. It also has a 30° inclination (or whatever you call it). So looks similar to me. Does anybody have that compass and can recommend it (or not)?

Generally speaking, I was initially planning to put the compass on a retractor. At least currently I don't really need the compass so it would be out of the way. In my OWD we didn't do much navigation but in the short bit we did, I found having the compass on my wrist unpractical. It was hard to get it horizontal and it kept moving around. I imagine having it in my hand would be easier / more stable. But then I stumbled upon some youtube video that showed that the retractor of the Suunto got magnitized. Is that a common issue? Also with the Aqualung?

Any other recommendations are welcome of course. I live in Europe (Germany), so please only locally available brands.

Thanks!

I use an SK7 in a bungee mount but attach a bolt snap to it rather than mount it on my wrist. I keep it clipped on my right side. When I need it, I unclip it and can then easily hold it out in front and below me to allow for excellent navigation. When I don't need it, I keep it clipped off and out of the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom