Analog compass advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Suunto SK7 too, by the way (bungee mount). Never had an issue with the needle. I bought the Scubapro because it is slightly less bulky/catchy and it has a detachable strap. I keep the strap on though, to go over my drysuit. But if I wanted, I could get it off quite easily and run a peace of bungee trough the holes when I'm wetsuit diving...

The SK7 is my spare compass, I guess.

I use an SK7 in a bungee mount but attach a bolt snap to it rather than mount it on my wrist. I keep it clipped on my right side. When I need it, I unclip it and can then easily hold it out in front and below me to allow for excellent navigation. When I don't need it, I keep it clipped off and out of the way.
Is the bolt snap attached to the bungee or to the compass itself? If it's the bungee, doesn't it dangle too much (possibly get damaged)?

Is the bolt snap attached to the bungee or to the compass itself? If it's the bungee, doesn't it dangle too much (possibly get damaged)?

No, not all all. I’ll grab a photo to share.

Adding photos below.

It remains clipped off on a D-ring on my right side BP/W harness. It doesn't hang below the lowest level of my body. It can't drag on anything as it doesn't hang low enough. It's also attached to a small bungee loop so that I can cut away the bolt snap if it ever gets caught or wedged on anything.

45D119B0-A828-4D98-B6C5-54E761813FCE.jpeg
ABC6369A-1F2D-4A4F-AF0E-27FB36A933A1.jpeg
BF75416B-912D-476D-AA97-75F7DC2F44E2.jpeg

Adding photos below.

It remains clipped off on a D-ring on my right side BP/W harness. It doesn't hang below the lowest level of my body. It can't drag on anything as it doesn't hang low enough. It's also attached to a small bungee loop so that I can cut away the bolt snap if it ever gets caught or wedged on anything.

View attachment 774649View attachment 774650View attachment 774651
Ah now I understand, thanks. I thought you had the usual bungees attached, but you attach ONLY a boltsnap. Well, that looks like something I might do. Leaves me the option of adding bungee straps if I ever do need the compass the whole time. So you're happy with the Suunto (SK7 or 8?) itself?

Ah now I understand, thanks. I thought you had the usual bungees attached, but you attach ONLY a boltsnap. Well, that looks like something I might do. Leaves me the option of adding bungee straps if I ever do need the compass the whole time. So you're happy with the Suunto (SK7 or 8?) itself?

Absolutely. It’s an SK7. I’ve had that exact compass for 17 years. I use it on almost every dive.

Adding photos below.

View attachment 774649View attachment 774650View attachment 774651
Wont the stainless steel quick-link and bolt snap spring throw the reading off?

Wont the stainless steel quick-link and bolt snap spring throw the reading off?

Nope. Stainless steel is nonferrous as it has very low levels of iron. It is nonmagnetic. It causes no issues at all with the functioning of the compass.

I have owned two Suuntos in my life of diving. Both developed bubbles and became worthless before too long. Other people love them, but my experience has not been good.

I have owned two Suuntos in my life of diving. Both developed bubbles and became worthless before too long. Other people love them, but my experience has not been good.

I've owned one for 17 years and another for 15 years (thought I'd lost the first and later found it). Zero issues with either. The only issue I have with them is the Suunto logo.

Back
Top Bottom