Analox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bombay High

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I am posting after reading the latest news on the CO poisoning case in Mexico.
I have been trying to procure a CO analyser from Analox, but their reps here in India are very unresponsive.
We have a fill station for Nitrox and air, and we are doing trimix as well.
Recently we had an episode of suspected bad air and high CO content in our nitrox. We overhauled the whole system, but are determined to analyse each tank individually on the boat.
We are a small operation and its mostly friends diving together.
Ironically, the guys who rep Analox are a company I have been associated with for years, since they also represent Kirby Morgan, and we also buy chamber components from them, along with diving bell assemblies.

They are kind of a monopoly and do not respond to small requests.

To cut to the chase ... If I buy one online, I can be sure not to get service from these guys, so is it possible to do it myself ?
Calibration and all maintenence ? What is involved ? What would my additional costs be ?

Thank you
BH

BTW - This fill station is unrelated to any commercial diving work. It is a purely recreational venture

Yes, the EII CO Carbon Monoxide Analyzer can be user calibrated. You would need a supply of cal-gas which should be available there somewhere in 10L and larger bottles. I think it uses 50 ppm CO cal-gas but while that would have to be confirmed, you might start looking for a supplier there. Some adapter parts would be needed but it'd be better than returning the unit to the UK or US for calibration.

The sensor is also user replaceable. It may cost almost as much as a new unit, but hopefully not by the time you need one in 2 or 3 years.

Why don't you email patti.clarkson@analox.biz in California, explain your situation, and see if she or someone she knows can help you directly.

If this does not work out, there are other brands, and I once communicated with a lady on that side of the world somewhere who had become a self made expert on making and maintaining units, and I could probably find her again - but try this first, and good luck.

Thank you Don,
Thats useful information. I suppose I need to track down the gas requirements for calibration, and then find a source.
If you do locate information for the other manufacturers, I would love to have it.

Thank you
BH

Yes, the EII CO Carbon Monoxide Analyzer can be user calibrated. You would need a supply of cal-gas which should be available there somewhere in 10L and larger bottles. I think it uses 50 ppm CO cal-gas but while that would have to be confirmed, you might start looking for a supplier there. Some adapter parts would be needed but it'd be better than returning the unit to the UK or US for calibration.

The sensor is also user replaceable. It may cost almost as much as a new unit, but hopefully not by the time you need one in 2 or 3 years.

Why don't you email patti.clarkson@analox.biz in California, explain your situation, and see if she or someone she knows can help you directly.

If this does not work out, there are other brands, and I once communicated with a lady on that side of the world somewhere who had become a self made expert on making and maintaining units, and I could probably find her again - but try this first, and good luck.

Oxycheq also sells a CO analyzer. If you are an Oxycheq dealer or have one close by, check with them. Here is a link for cal gas - Carbon Monoxide (CO) Calibration Gas. I'm not sure if they'll ship to you, but it's a start.

Rob, thank you for the link. Contacted them. They will not ship international with a loaded cylinder. Just ground transport.

Don, I have sent Patti Clarkson an email. Maybe she can whip these guys into shape (but I doubt it).

I am going to buy the analyser anyway, and figure out the calibration gas.

Rob, thank you for the link. Contacted them. They will not ship international with a loaded cylinder. Just ground transport.

Don, I have sent Patti Clarkson an email. Maybe she can whip these guys into shape (but I doubt it).

I am going to buy the analyser anyway, and figure out the calibration gas.
The cal-gas may not be as needed as previously thought. Still looking into this, but the unit has a fine tuning calibration adjustment. You zero that out before testing, then do a bump test to make sure the sensor gives a reading, then test the tanks - so if the unit will zero out, then will show a reading on the bump test, then additional calibrations may not be needed. It'll be tomorrow before we can get this clarified by the engineers,

The bump test can is small enough that it should be okay to air mail, however it is really optional. Everyone has CO in their breath so you can blow on the sensor as a test. You just want to ensure that it's reacting. Get a smoker to blow on it for bigger results. :shocked2:

This is a long overdue yet still relatively new thing for the sport and we are learning. :eyebrow:

Ok so here's some follow-up on the calibration issue. It really seems to depend on how accurate you want it and how much you will do to gain that...

Ideally, calibrate every six months for optimum accuracy. I am not going to bother with that. That's more for shop owners, especially here in the USA where lawsuits can go ballistic.

Don't calibrate other than pretest adjustment to zero and blow on the sensor to make sure it reacts.* Replace sensor every 2 years.

My choice: Calibrate annually and use sensor as long as it works.​

Here is Patti's update from today on the matter of sensors and calibration from http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/analox-analysers/399778-co-analyzer-calibration.html
Hi Goferrin99,

With the EIICO you basically have options...the reason for this is you could, in fact, simply drop in the replacement sensor, manually zero and bump test and use the EIICO with the same level of accuracy (or better) as our competitors who are currently saying you don't need to calibrate thier CO Monitors. Analox is a well respected manufacturer of high quality, highly accurate analyzers and therefore we are compelled to offer you the ability to get the most accurate readings from our analyzers...which looks like this:

"Span Calibration
To meet the factory calibration specifications given in section 9, span calibration is required every 6 months. See section 10 for details on calibration kits available.
For reduced accuracy operation, the EII CO can be used as a go / no go test provided that the unit passes a zero set and bump test as specified in section 3.
Alternatively, contact an Analox approved service centre for span calibration. A full list of service centres can be found on the Analox website (www.analox.net)"

Essentially, you can go "plug and play" and the EIICO will still protect you from dangerous levels of CO. If you choose either you or an Authorized Service Center (Dive Shop or Analox) CAN calibrate the EIICO for precise CO readings.

Oxycheq is selling a rebranded C-Square CO analyzer, which I am sure is a fine unit - in fact, Analox did the same thing at first while developing their own - but Oxycheq is claiming that it does not need to be calibrated, even tho the C-Square manual says otherwise. Oxycheq did have that manual on their site but took it down. Like I said, this is all new technology to a relatively young sport, and we are learning. :crafty: How long did it take for golfers to figure out that a dimpled ball flew further?

So you may well want to look for a local supplier of the cal-gas. You will also need "the plastic piece to allow attachment of the calibration gas to the sensor port. The screws on the inside in order to get at the calibration potentiometer are Torx 10 so also get the proper Torx 10 driver..." That screw driver should be easy to find locally.

* About blowing on the sensor instead of using bump-gas to confirm that sensor reacts: If you remove the flow restrictor for this, you might damage the sensor. I remove it and blow at a 75-80 degree angle, but for safest testing - leave the restrictor on and blow into the tiny hole. (Why is speel cheik not liking the word "restrictor"...?

Hi Bombay High and fellow Divers,

It's Saturday...and I caught this post.... hmmm perhaps I need a life? This issue is personally important to me, and you have heard me banging this CO drum for quite some time. Bombay High, lets get you taken care of. The Analox Account Manager at our parent company in the UK is Ms. Michelle Hudson. Michelle is a fellow diver and is extremely professional and invested in diver safety. If your local Analox representative in India is not giving you the level of service you deserve, please contact Mrs. Hudson directly at +44 1642 711400 or michelle.hudson@analox.biz. I am confident she will sort you out. I will also copy this post to her. Thanks friends and please dive safe.

Back
Top Bottom