And I need a buddy who is better than me!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Instead of an advanced course, take C 407 (Introduction to Scientific Diving) at Berkeley. Scientists are always desperate for buddies that they do not have to pay back by diving on the other guy's project. If you pass the course you will get to do some really neat stuff. I know a bunch of non-scientist divers, all of whose diving is part of ongoing research at Cal.

Trust me ... your buddies will be much better than you are and will be grateful as hell that you are there. There will come a day when you are better than your buddies, but that's fun too.

Suggestions on who to contact/where to find divers who are willing to work with me?

I'm sure your local dive shop is a great place to start for local diving as well as trips, etc.

Trust me ... your buddies will be much better than you are and will be grateful as hell that you are there. There will come a day when you are better than your buddies, but that's fun too.

That's a great point!

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all the people that took me on 20 minute dives when I was first starting out and didn't make me feel like I was "ruining their dive".

Now it turns out that diving with new divers is really amazing. It's like watching a little kid learn to walk.

Terry

el_guapo

Seeking do dive with mentors is a great way to further your development as a diver. You might find this piece useful.

Most seasoned divers are not looking to have every dive be a majestic adventure. Generally just having the chance to "get neutral" is good enough. Don't feel that you are depriving anyone of a greater dive. Many of us take a special interest in this sport of thing and will go out of our way to accommodate.

Pete

Like Web Monkey said..."we were all new, once". Come out to Kauai and I will be happy to show you some of the cool stuff we have here.

:wink:

el_guapo

Seeking do dive with mentors is a great way to further your development as a diver. You might find this piece useful.

Most seasoned divers are not looking to have every dive be a majestic adventure. Generally just having the chance to "get neutral" is good enough. Don't feel that you are depriving anyone of a greater dive. Many of us take a special interest in this sport of thing and will go out of our way to accommodate.

Pete

I totally agree Pete. Pretty much any time I am doing simple, easy dives like at the quarry or in the Keys, new divers are always welcome until they give me serious safety reasons not to dive with them. The one exception I do make is when I have lot of time and/or money invested in a particular dive that would be hampered by a new or for that matter an "experienced" but unknown diver, those dives I have a buddy with me and will not accept anyone unknown to me. Otherwise come on....hitting the quarry tomorrow, a little far from CA but if you can get here, ya got a buddy. :)

I am going to take the liberty and speak on behalf of the vast majority of experienced divers I know.

We don't like surprises.

By that, I mean we go into a dive with certain expectations. If I am expecting to do a dive with a certain profile, and I find out at dive time that I am to be be joined by someone whose experience will not allow that profile, then I am not happy.

On the other hand, if I know going into a dive from the planning stages that I am going to be with a beginner, even someone who is newly certified, then I am happy to be a part of the experience. I really enjoy (actually, love) working with new divers and helping them through the early learning stages of diving. (It makes me feel like I know something, all other evidence to the contrary.)

So, if you were to ask me to dive with you as a beginner, I would be happy--thrilled--to do so. Just don't surprise me when I am planning to do something beyond your experience.

I used to live in California and that water isn't warm.. LOL
I like warm too..... Keys, Caribbean....spoiled....
Have fun diving!

jm2c

With owning a dive charters business in upstate NY and all the cert's that I have, I enjoy taking out new divers. Why because of the the look on there face at the end of that dive and how excited they are when they board back on the boat!
Thats why I do what I do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom