And I need a buddy who is better than me!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

I can absolutely respect that, which is why I am being cautious and advertising myself as I am. I also understand the amount of trust involved in this, and that it has to be earned through good experience with one another.

A lot of experienced divers may shy away from "newbies" because they know new folks still urinate in their wet suits. Bladder control is very important for the really good divers.

Just kiddin, we pee like racehorses too! Get out and dive. But do let someone know your experience level.

esp. in the dry suit i've been told :wink:

There are valves for that, but don't let the hose get kinked.

Believe me.

A lot of new divers feel very bashful about asking to dive with more experienced people. They fear that they're clumsy, or they'll blow through their gas, or otherwise lessen the experience of the dive for their buddy.

One thing they don't know is that diving with new divers is its own genuine pleasure. There is nothing like the enthusiasm of a new diver -- EVERYTHING is exciting and novel and memorable, even the things you've seen a thousand times. A new diver is almost never disappointed in a dive (in themselves, maybe, but not in the dive itself!) When you've forgotten how exciting all the common creatures were when you were new, having your buddy say, "Did you see all those purple STARFISH?" brings the joy back.

Not everyone likes to dive with new divers, but some of us definitely do. For sure, go to your local forum and post your history and your availability and the fact that you are looking for some mentoring, and I'm quite sure (especially since I know where you got certified) that you will get some positive answers.

Also remember that there is more to "the dive" than just the bottom time. Diving with new people is always interesting be they new or seasoned as divers. I have had buddies who were really up on the local history, the birds, the boats we see sailing by off shore and all sorts of stuff. Some are experts on marine life and can explain what's going on as the season evolves. Being around interesting people doing fun stuff is a big part of the social side of the sport of diving. Think about any other strengths you bring to the total experience.

If all else fails bring cookies for the surface interval!

Pete

Back
Top Bottom