Andaman Sea vs. Gulf of Thailand in August for DMT?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob,

IMO, I don't think you should directly advertise but offer advice and let the reader choose. The fact that you do all the DM theory already separates you from some other CDs. Traveling to a couple of spots is probably the best advice so that PS can make an informed decision. Just out of curiosity, how many CDs are there on Koh Tao? I heard from our PADI Regional Rep that 70,000 divers are certified in Thailand annually. I wonder what the numbers are in Thailand geographically. Does Tao have the biggest %?

AZ

Thanks everyone for your input.

I'm still deliberating between the gulf and west coast! eenie, meenie, miney, mo.....

If I can try and sum up the pros and cons... what do you think?

West coast (Phuket)
- better diving
- not the best season
- more advanced divers/less courses = more guiding rather than assisting?
- more developed/touristy
- older crowd/bit less social scene
- more expensive

Gulf (Koh Tao)
- not as good diving
- better season
- more courses, better chance to improve skills
- less developed
- dynamic atmosphere
- cheaper

I noted that one dive shop in Phuket said on their website they don't take DMTs during the time I'm there because there are not enough customers to assist with. Perhaps this is a smaller shop, but would lack of customers during August-Oct be a problem to do DM in Phuket?!?
I want to be busy enough assisting/guiding to improve my skills.

Phuket seems to be more expensive for the course (and living?), but then I could dive cheaply in Koh Tao later on as fun dives. Hmm.

"dynamic atmosphere" that is an interesting way to describe Koh Tao indeed.

Some shops in Phuket are more focused on day trips or liveaboards and don't push so much for courses, or only have permanent instructors during high season making a DM course rather tricky. Also, for sure there are more students around in the high season, meaning more courses to assist on.

Arizona. KT has by far the largest % of certs in Thailand. I believe we are one of the biggest number-wise in the world.

As for Cds, 10 or so. Enough.

Sounds like your pros and cons summation is pretty incisive. Might want to ask about how many dives will be included on the DMT. Most shops in KT will let you dive pretty much as long as you like knowing that DMT's are the best advocates for continuing education courses around. Not sure how it works on the other side. Now all that's left is the deciding. Best of luck whatever you choose.

Oh, and Bob is right, roughly half the PADI certifications in Thailand are earned on Koh Tao.

If I can try and sum up the pros and cons... what do you think?.....
- (Phuket) more advanced divers/less courses = more guiding rather than assisting?
- (Tao) not as good diving...
- (Tao) more courses, better chance to improve skills

I want to be busy enough assisting/guiding to improve my skills.

Just a few points....

Firstly, the DMT programme consists of a set number of 'assists' that you need to do (as well as theory and skills training etc). Wherever you go, you will get the opportunity to lead dives as well as assist on OW and con-ed courses. Generally though, the course focuses on assisting instructors...so you will do more of that wherever you go. In Tao, there are more courses and more opportunities to do both. However, any dive centre that actually utilises inexperienced DMTs to lead dives should be viewed suspiciously....it is normally just a way to make more profit from their fun divers (by not having to pay a qualified DM) and can lend suspicion to generally unsafe dive management practices.

Secondly, if you view the DMT course as simply an opportunity to stack up a load of cheap fun-dives (which is how some DMT programmes are run), then you will find yourself woefully lacking in professional experience after you are qualified.

Thirdly, any dive centre that cannot keep it's DMTs fully occupied with training is ripping its interns off. It means they either have too many interns on their books (compared to their number of instructors & customers) or that they are a dead, lacklustre dive centre - this may be true of some schools (either side of Thailand) during their respective monsoon seasons.

Fourthly, a good DM training centre should offer lots of value for money on the course. For example, (not mentioning any names - I don't care about advertising) the dive centre I work at runs (IMHO) a world-class DMT course. The manager will only select (yes, select) certain applicants for the course - they have to be serious about their diving, professional (they're seen as being integral to our team and representing the company with customers) and willing to work and learn. We stack in loads of extra-curricular training. I do a lot of training with the DMTs on deco theory, deep diving, wreck diving (yes, there are wrecks off Koh Tao), dsmb masterclasses, kit configurations, detailed dive planning, accident management, tank filling/blending, buoyancy development, navigation training etc....and they get the full benefit of my technical diving experience. Another instructor at our place is a qualified Dive Medic Technician...he teaches some very advanced first aid, O2 and DCS stuff for them. Our DMTs also spend time working with a qualified service technician...and get first hand experience in servicing regs, bcds and cylinders. Over the space of 2-3 months, they will have done formal OW and con-ed assists with every instructor at the centre (learning different ways of approaching problems etc) and typically cover over 4x the required amount of assists. At the end of the course, they are very EMPLOYABLE....and, what is more, they are excellent and professional divers (who I'd be glad to dive and work with). When our DMTs finish the course and move to other locations, we (as a team) are always gutted to see them go.

In contrast, some DMTs (at some dive centres) just go fun diving lots ,hang around bored on assists with indifferent instructors...and stagger around the island (Tao) with hang-overs most days. They won't get (paid) work afterwards...and (IMHO) have sold themselves short as divers.

Oh more stirring things up.....

Planetary soul. I gotta give you some props for sticking though this as long as you have.

I work at one of the shops in Khao Lak that has a great Divemaster Training program (shamelsss!
nonononono.gif
) and I wish I could tell you that the season will meet up with your schedule. It probably won't.

In Phuket you might find some shops that are busy, but up here in Khao lak the shops don't open until early October and the Liveaboards aren't really running until about November 1st (some will, some won't). so you won't really be able to do a proper DM program in this area (with liveaboards - you asked about them) until mid-October.

As for who does the best DM course? We do!
11.gif

No, seriously I think Arizona has been giving the best advice. Ask advice, contact the shops online (or better yet - call them!) and see how it feels. Then narrow down your possibilities.
Some Shops do dozens of DM's a year - and that can be good (lots of experienced instructors and resources). It can also be bad (don't know your name, just a number).

Some schools teach mostly students - which can be good (seeing the mistakes that are common with beginners). And can be bad (no clue how to navigate)

Some Schools are mostly about experienced divers - which can be good (learn the real job of a DM) and can be bad (don't see as many "crazy-eye" panicked ascents)

In the end, I wish you good luck and keep reading, writing and contacting your prospective choices.

west side: not so many OW certifications, more old experienced divers to take touring on more challenging divesites, but less "party"... more oldies over there..... except phi phi

And Koh Lanta. Lots of courses there, plus many experienced divers go for Hin Daeng/Hin Muang.

However, any dive centre that actually utilises inexperienced DMTs to lead dives should be viewed suspiciously....it is normally just a way to make more profit from their fun divers (by not having to pay a qualified DM) and can lend suspicion to generally unsafe dive management practices.

I did my DMT at a big shop on Koh Tao. There the inexperienced DMTs were always following the dives, and once they were more experienced and knew the dive sites, then they would lead the dives.
During my DMT I got to lead over 50 dives. This was very valuable experience for navigation and controlling divers in the water.

Back
Top Bottom