Andrea Doria Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are lots of deep wrecks and challanging cave dives. You don't even need to suffer a hundred mile boat ride in nasty seas to get there.

That "Mt. Everest of Diving" thing fit well in the book but...

I think as many people get ont it each year as there are seats on the boats going to the wreck. I've thought about it and I think that by the time you do a few trips to the area so some captain can check you out, then drop $1500 or more, that you might loose, on the real trip, it just doesn't sound worth while. For the same money and effort I can do a couple trips to Isle Royal and dive better wrecks like the Kamloops, Ginuilda ect.

MikeFerrara:
For the same money and effort I can do a couple trips to Isle Royal and dive better wrecks like the Kamloops, Ginuilda ect.

Do you suggest any good wreck guides, publications, or sources for researching what wrecks are out there and divable?

One of the best source of info is the charters themselves along with the divers who frequent them. There are some books around but I can't think of any titles off the top of my head. you'll find a lot more in print about the recreational wrecks. In some area with lots of wrecks there is a local archiological organization and they oftem put out publications and some are on line. Also the wreck shows like the Ghost ship show that's comming up in Milwalkee Wis.

Often getting a seat on a charter for the good wrecks isn't as simple as calling on the phone and booking a spot. You need to kind of work your way in with the best dives sometimes being by invitation only. Once you do that you'll know what wrecks are around to dive so get out and meet divers who are doing the dives that you want to do.

Mike,

Thanks for the tips. I'm in on the S. FL wrecks that normal charters don't go to due to depth and deco via some private boats and one charter boat. But most of these aren't great penetration wrecks, and none are really historical in nature with a story to tell like the Doria, the Lusitania, etc... I'll have to start attending some workshops so I can network with some more wreck divers outside the local area. I'm still not trimix, but looking to do that this spring. I've capped my personal limit for now at 185 until I put some more deep penetration practice dives on the calender.

Here are some of the dives on my dream list (in addition to the Doria). I think some of them fit your criteria..

Lusitania
Edmund Fitzgerald
Estonia
Empress of Ireland
Monitor
Bianca C

As a budding "tech diver extra-ordinaire wanna be" I can agree with MikeF RE the Doria.

As much as I want to do it, I have a hard time with the $$$$ required to do it, when there are more challenging dives that cost half the $$.

As to the Empress. My thoughts are, it can be as easy or as difficult as you want to make it. On a good day, and no penetration, your Grandma could do it. (Assuming she's a competent OW diver).

As far as some of you guy saying you're not ready yet........well heck, if I can do it any one can.

I'm SURE you guys are better divers than me....so just DO IT.

What we're supposedly doing in 2004 L/Superior trip, is half the price of the Doria, and unquestionably harder.

But I'd still like some Doria China, retrieved by my own hands..........someday.

DeepScuba,

What do you guys have planned for Lake Superior? I used to live in Wisconsin and have heard there are some nice technical dives in the GL's - Fitzgerald obviously. As for the not ready yet thing - more of an investment in more equip/$ thing. I was putting together a group of 6 to possibly do the Doria, but I think we'll be considering a different wreck site now. I'll have to find a new group, since it will be hard to get these beach bums up to the GL's or over seas! LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom