Andrea Doria Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't be so quick to walk away from the Dora. Just because it has broken apart in some areas, doesn't mean that there isn't new hole to gain access to areas that weren't accessable before.

Sure, the Doria is collapsing, all wrecks are, its a natural process. Some might have you believe she's pancake flat. No way. As NEWreckDiver says, change in the wreck only opens new opportunities.

I will stick in a caution though, don't even think Doria until you've got several hundred dives below 200 feet. Its not a death trap but if you go there before you're ready, guess what?

As for the Fitz (d33ps1x, what's your issue with calling her what she was called when she was afloat?), think about it, 500+ feet in zip degree water. There's only a handful of divers that can put their chances of surviving that above 50%. You up to that?

WW

WreckWriter:
Sure, the Doria is collapsing, all wrecks are, its a natural process. Some might have you believe she's pancake flat. No way. As NEWreckDiver says, change in the wreck only opens new opportunities.

I will stick in a caution though, don't even think Doria until you've got several hundred dives below 200 feet. Its not a death trap but if you go there before you're ready, guess what?

As for the Fitz (d33ps1x, what's your issue with calling her what she was called when she was afloat?), think about it, 500+ feet in zip degree water. There's only a handful of divers that can put their chances of surviving that above 50%. You up to that?

WW

it's good to have you back.

boomx5:
it's good to have you back.

Its extremely debatable if I'm "back".

I've paged through about 12 screens of new posts tonight and this was the only one that I felt was worth posting in. If the general gist of the board continues aliong the pink snorkel path it likely won't be long before I'm either re-banned or just walk away.

I'm perfectly willing to help new divers with legitimate questions but when AOW folks start reaching for the Doria/Fitz...........

WW

mwilding:
You can go to Gary Gentile's site and buy some china and tell you buddys about your solo dive on air...

mmmm.....now you've got me thinking. :D

The Andrea Doria is still an awsome dive. I would not do the penetration they used to do. Diving to 240 fsw is still a feat.

WreckWriter:
Its extremely debatable if I'm "back".

I've paged through about 12 screens of new posts tonight and this was the only one that I felt was worth posting in. If the general gist of the board continues aliong the pink snorkel path it likely won't be long before I'm either re-banned or just walk away.

I'm perfectly willing to help new divers with legitimate questions but when AOW folks start reaching for the Doria/Fitz...........

WW
Glad to see some level headed thinking here.

WreckWriter:
I'm perfectly willing to help new divers with legitimate questions but when AOW folks start reaching for the Doria/Fitz...........WW

I hope no one thinks I'm trying to get on the Doria tomorrow. I've long started on a path down the road that will summit at a dive like or actually on the Doria. The group I've been diving with are much more experienced than I am, some with over 5000 dives logged and several hundred in the 200+ range in both caves and wrecks. None of them have done the Doria. I'm actually the neophyte with my personal cap set at 185. I'm the catalyst and glue for the group of 6 divers. We do penetration dives in 3 groups of 2 rotating buddies on every third dive. We're getting to know each others current limits and expanding them as we feel comfortable. Our timetable puts us on a dive like the Doria in a couple of years, not tomorrow. I plan ahead and do my research, hence this exploratory post to find out if it would even be a dive in 2 years or so.

Just wanted to make sure you guys didn't think I was some sort of AOW dork pipedreaming! :) I may not be trimix or rebreather with 100 200'+ dives in my log, but I've taken every dive, my equip, my planning, and my buddies very seriously. So keep the advice coming, because some of us will pass you guys up some day when you're no longer able to keep up! (Jesting! even though I don't know you, sounds like I should.)

MemPilot:

Samuel Mather sitting in 172ffw.

Comet at 210-230ffw

Zillah 230-250ffw
the Superior City 210-270ffw

This is the proposed Lake Superior sites we will be doing.
Certainly the hardest diving I've ever done by a mile.

To my thinking, FAR more difficult than the Empress or the Doria.

WreckWriter: You state "Don't do the Doria until you have several hundred dives below 200ft"

IMO, that would be true if you were planning some heavy penetration, and certainly the more experience the better, but I wouldn't think it would take that much to do the quick "swim around" (OK, not ALL the way around, but kind of a touch and go, yeah I did it type of swim) The kind that your first couple dives on it would be like.

FWIW: Next year I also hope to be doing the Empress again. I can't get enough of her, now that I've had a taste. I can't explain it.

If I survive next year, it's gonna be a great year!

Wish me luck, I'll take any edge I can get.

Back
Top Bottom