Andrea Doria on TV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gee~~ I missed it... They won't rebroadcase it?

Sometimes pbs stations repeat their primetime programs over the weekends and in Phoenix's case later the same night. Check your weekend listings.

ScubaTexan:
John Chatterton said in his Deep Sea Detectives episode about it that there was enough blame to spread all around. However, having said that, I agree that the Stockholm was largely at fault. The fact that the captain did not know how to use a radar properly was a dead giveaway. Also, did you notice that the Stockholm people are the only ones claiming there was no fog that night? Even the Nantucket Lighthouse confirmed that.

I liked the Deep Sea Detectives version of the Doria sinking to this one. Actually, the History channel just had John's episode on this week, so it was fresh in my mind while watching PBS last night. DSD had more current shots of the ship and showed how badly deteriorated she has become, with her top 5 decks collapsing into the sand.

I have to agree that the 3rd Mate STILL clinging to his story that there was no fog was idiotic. Who the heck does he think he's fooling?? Only himself apparently. Not only did the lighthouse report fog, but they interviewed crews on other ships in the area who said there was fog....and don't forget that even passengers on the Doria were saying they stayed inside because it was too foggy to be on deck.

del_mo:
Wednesday, PBS at 8:00 pm eastern. "Why divers have died...possible cover up."
Anyone know if there's a bittorrent site out there that will have this?

Here's the synopsis Rocky Mountain PBS gave the show:

"Secrets of the Dead
"The Sinking of the Andrea Doria"
On a foggy night in July 1956, two transatlantic passenger ships collided in a tragic accident that spurred the largest naval rescue operation in history. The world watched in horror as the Andrea Doria, one of the grandest luxury liners, sank before their eyes. Using archival footage, survivor accounts, CGI and exclusive underwater images of the decomposing ship, the program explores exactly what happened that fateful night, explains why so many divers have lost their lives on the wreck and reveals a startling insurance company cover-up that has remained hidden for the last 50 years. "

In the roughly 1 1/2 minutes of time they gave to diving, it did nothing to explain why so many divers have died there. I think it didn't even mention that divers had died until right at the end regarding David Bright.

While it was very informative from a historical perspective as to what happened, if you watched it looking for diving as I did, it was a major disappointment. Good show though.

I watched it - enjoyed the show since I didn't know much about the wreck. But like others had siad, I was hoping for more underwater footage/scuba related info.

Ditto...I was hoping for more on post-sinking investigations and dives of the wreck. But enjoyable overall...I never knew how the Doria went down.

I watched it last night and it was mostly about what took place between the Andrea and the Stockholm.
The last 15 minutes of an hour program covered some diving.
I posted this about it here.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=152336

Most of you are probably aware of this, but the book "Deep Descent" is about the Andrea Doria and the many divers that died diving the wreck. Many of the people discussed in the book are icons of east coast wreck diving.

Good, easy read.

JR

I thought yesterday's PBS show was much more informative than the DSD episode with regard to the history, circumstances, and cause of the accident and its aftermath. The archival footage, including that of the sinking, was quite good. The show really put the whole collision and sinking in context.

The DSD episode, of course, was dive focused, with plenty of underwater footage and was quite good in its own right. For those who missed the DSD episode and want to see it, you can purchase it from the History Channel:

http://store.aetv.com/html/product/index.jhtml?id=73206

Back
Top Bottom