Anesthesia & diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arnaud

Contributor
Reaction score
A question to the good doctors on SB:

Are there any recommended guidelines regarding full anesthesia and diving (before the surgery and after)?

I'm assuming that anesthesia slows down the metabolism, so a minimum of 24 (or 48?) hours after the last dive would make sense, wouldn't it?

How about after the procedure?

I'm getting an arthroscopic surgery of the left knee, a fairly short procedure. Would there be any diving related benefit to getting an epidural instead?

Thanks!
Arnaud

Well, I guess the good doctors are working or diving.

I gave a call to DAN. There doesn't seem to be any issue between diving and anesthesia, as long as you keep a 24h period before and after the surgery.

:doctor:

GreatInca once bubbled...
what is an epidural? I've never been under anethesia before either.

You're lucky!

That's a form of anesthesia thru the spine for surgery from the waist down.

I don't know the specifics but the plus is that you don't sleep. The minus is the big needle in your back :wacko:

Answers to a couple of your questions from an anesthesiologist:

[1] An epidural is an anesthetic technique where medication is injected in the area of the back protected by the bones of the spine and immediately surrounding the spinal fluid sac. The advantage of an epidural is that by inserting a sterile epidural catheter, the anesthetic can be extended as long as needed for the surgery. The potential disadvantage, as it pertains to divers, is that many anesthesiologists locate the epidural space in the back by injecting a VERY tiny amount of air. Typically this will be rapidly absorbed by the body but I guess theoretically it could be subjected to compression/expansion with descents/ascents too soon after having anesthesia.

[2] General anesthesia does "slow" your metabolism, but that's typically only during its administration. With most modern general anesthetics, the effects are rapidly dissipated within hours of stopping the anesthesia.

[3] We recommend at least 24 hours elapsed time from the end of anesthesia until people resume their normal activities, especially requiring clear thought process and fine motor control.
I would suggest at least that amount of time before considering diving. Also, some people feel fatigued after having a surgical "insult." The changes in blood flow to the surgical site also theoretically increases the risk of DCS.

The above information is for general information purposes only. You should consult with your own physician before making any decisions regarding diving before/after surgery and/or the use of powerful medications. Hope this is helpful!

I ended up having the full anesthesia and it went like a breeze. Not getting in the water until Friday with my surgeon's consent as long as my DS stays... dry.

I'm really impressed with the progress that have been made in this field. It had been 26 years since my last anesthesia and I still remember every minute of it and how bad it was. This time, I was asleep at 1:30 PM and awake at 3:30 PM. It just felt like taking a great nap.

Arnaud once bubbled...
I'm really impressed with the progress that have been made in this field. It had been 26 years since my last anesthesia and I still remember every minute of it and how bad it was. This time, I was asleep at 1:30 PM and awake at 3:30 PM. It just felt like taking a great nap.

I agree! I had arthro right knee, July 1. Original injury was from skiing back in '89. At that time surgery would have constituted fileting open the knee & long recovery time. In April the old injury flared up, locking & putting me on crutches for a week. My surgery consisted of 2 punctures (each less then a half inch), cleaning up mensical tears, debriding a crack in the cartilege, & finding a little arthritis in the joint. No side effects from the anesthesia, one minute I was awake in the OR, then I was in recovery, back to my holding room, home by 11:30 am.

I was walking without crutches after 4 days. Swimming for therapy after 6 days, no muscle atrophy, very little discomfort, no real pain. A little stiff at times, but I am back to my normal 3 mile a night walk with the dog.

Some of the potential side effects from epidurals include headaches/migraines from leaking spinal fluid, balance problems, temporary paralysis. It took my cousin about 8 months to fully recover from her epi during delivery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom