Anilao AND PG???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haha, well I'm sure those resorts appreciate your enthusiasm to book early! Both Anilao and Puerto Galera have a lot of resort options, although most of them probably don't have websites of their own, so contacting and booking will be a bit tough. You can probably check out this website-- Reviews of Hotels, Flights and Attractions - TripAdvisor Just type in a particular town/municipality/province and it'll show you nearby resorts and accommodations. Also shown are (occasionally): room availability, reviews, and contact details lol.

As for bottled water, there are generally convenience stores in the Puerto Galera and Mabini (the municipality Anilao is located in) town proper that sell large-sized bottled water (usually in 1L or 2L bottles), so you don't have to worry about that.

You'll probably have to load up on pesos before traveling to either site. Not sure if many of the restaurants and shops around those areas will take payment by card.

Eating won't be a problem either! Lots of restaurants, especially in Puerto Galera. Generally the resort/s you stay at in both Anilao and Puerto Galera will also provide options for meals.

I haven't gone scuba diving in Puerto Galera (only snorkeling/free-diving), but the coral reef sites we visited were pretty healthy in terms of live coral cover and diversity! It definitely wouldn't hurt to try fitting both Anilao and Puerto Galera into your itinerary. :D

1. Cash is KING. There is NO money changing facility in Anilao and the rate at PG is slightly better than that at the airport. Some resorts will accept card without additional charge but other will add an levy of around 5%. Ask ahead.
2. Bottle water comes in all sort of sizes from 500ml to 6L!! They are readily available in PG but in Anilao you need to take a jeepney to the town. In the resort(Anilao & PG) you probalby can pick up 1L size at inflated price. You don't have to worry about toiletries in PG unless you insist on your favourite brands.
3. There are so many restaurants to chose in PG, full-board is a bit boring.
4. Contact South Sea Diver in PG and I am pretty sure "Sky"(yankee) will look after you. He has been running the shop over 20yrs in PG. South Sea is ONLY a dive shop but Sky can arrange any kind of room to suit your need!
BTW, some resorts in Anilao do offer "unlimited shore" if you book couple of boat dives on the same day! Ask around.
5. Question on coral condition! My personal preference is PG. The soft coral around Sabang Point is amazing. Those big sea fans in Horse head reef(36m) are huge(strong current means nutrient).
6. You will never know unless you have given a try so split the time evenly. 12 days in a same place is far too long for my stomach but it is your holiday afterall.

I really can't thank you guys enough for the multiple responses and PMs! We are going to do a 6/6 split as recommended by you geniuses! Now let's just hope they have availability for both Anilao and PG!

Now let's just hope they have availability for both Anilao and PG!
You are NOT going there during Chinese New Year, Easter or Christmas so you will be FINE.

Diving rate:
Anilao has the strangest divng rate probably in whole Philippines if not whole Asia!!!! There are various +++ to add to your final bill!! You really have to do some research on the topic.
Completely different in PG as you pay only one rate to cover everything(boat, dive, guide and weight) except Night dive, Nitrox, rental equipment and special trip to Verde Island(must).
Dive guide(FOC) is provided on every dive except those FREE shore dive in Anilao. I am not aware that any operator in PG is offering such GREAT service.

Last edited:
I've been to both PG and Anilao several times, and the last time I went (February of this year) I was leading a fairly large group and we did 5 days in each of PG and Anilao, and it seemed to work out very well. Both have excellent diving, but for the experienced macro photographer, Anilao comes out on top. For the more casual diver, PG might be better since it has more amenities (bars, restaurants, shops, beaches, day trips, etc). Anilao is more like a land-based live-aboard. Most resorts in Anilao will include a meal-plan, since you cannot easily leave your resort except by boat. For PG, it's nice to have breakfast included, but for other meals, I would leave it open so you can try out the many restaurants around.

As for the transfer between PG and Anilao, how many people are in your group? A private boat to take you from PG to Anilao (resort to resort), might run about $100 or so, but once we divided it by 12 people, it was ridiculously cheap, and therefore definitely the way to go. Even if you are say 4 people, it might still be worthwhile taking into account the convenience and time saved. The private transfer can easily be arranged by your resort once you are there, and you will only loose half a day in transfer. After 5-6 days of diving, you will be ready for a bit of a break anyway. Although I prefer Anilao to PG, I definitely recommend checking both places out if you have 10 days or more.

Thanks searcaigh! That is incredibly helpful and insightful! Can you comment on the reef diving between the two?

If we were to split it for our first time, would you recommend an even split of 6 nights each or something else?

Hi diverjen,

From my own personal experience there is more current at PG and therefore some good drift diving but for me this does not work well for photography sometimes … I usually do macro, and have not tried wide angle yet at this location, but there are some great corals in this area. Some great muck diving off Sabang but some looney divers in this area too plus a lot of boat traffic around the Sabang wrecks who are oblivious of SMBs. Giant Clams is an excellent muck diving site and very sheltered.

Anilao has some nice corals too and also across at Maricaban island opposite Anilao where the boats also go.

First time there ….. difficult to say since I don't know your likes / dislikes

For PG I would suggest the area around El Galleon Resort (i.e. Asia Divers), you can take a walk into Sabang proper from there but places like Atlantis is closer and have a lot of people traffic between the resort itself. Asia Divers is better set up diving wise, but the rooms at El Galleon are in need of some update (as of Oct 2012).

Crystal Blue is an eat sleep dive resort, to visit anywhere else you would need to hire a taxi or a boat, and is much quieter.

Depending on your arrival time in Manila, it might be worth staying overnight then traveling in the morning to PG/Anilao ….. personally I'd hate to take a boat across to PG at night from Batangas, their visual navigation is a guy with a torch at the front of the boat telling the helmsman if any debris is floating in front of the boat, I've seen whole trees floating in these waters and would not want to cross at night.

I usually spend a night again in Manila on my way back, again, a personal choice based on flights and not wishing to rush to the airport at the last minute.

Splitting your trip in half is a good idea to sample both areas, I'd do PG first then Anilao, at least you will not be delayed by any boat crossing if you are going direct to the airport from PG, some friends of mine missed their flight once due to bad weather.

Action Divers in PG is another option. Dive Puerto Galera, Dive Philippines, Dive Action Divers Nice accommodation right next door. I dived there a few years ago and Roscoe (Aussie) the owner of Action Divers was very helpful. Personally I prefer Anilao and Crystal Blue for my sort of photography.

I believe Roscoe is a KIWI!!!!

Show him a Corriedale sheep and a Booroola Merino and see what one he chooses :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom