Ankle weights- Yay or Nay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOTS of great divers use ankle weights ...

They just call them ScubaPro Jet Fins. :D

No, this is not a joke.
Jet fins simply combine the weight and fin in one reducing the extra 'stuff' you are wearing, which is generally a good thing.

pipedope:
Jet fins simply combine the weight and fin in one reducing the extra 'stuff' you are wearing, which is generally a good thing.

Well, sorta. The weight on your ankle just adds work to your kick, whereas weight off the end of your toe adds force to your kick.

I rambled about this a while ago... http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=528650&postcount=14

And Jet Fins with spring straps are even heavier ankle weights!
pipedope:
LOTS of great divers use ankle weights ...

They just call them ScubaPro Jet Fins. :D

No, this is not a joke.

I've got 2 dry suits, one is a shell (trilam) the other is a 7mm neoprene. Never have worn ankle weights, however, if a student "feels" more comfortable with a set on, then I tell them to use them. But, I also tell them to shed them after a few dozen dives with the new drysuit, and see if they really do need them. Most end up taking the ankle weights off after a while and end up feeling "liberated".

Use them or don't use them if you want, anyone who tells you that you SHOULD have them on is wrong, it's a matter of choice more than anything else.

Spectre:
Well, sorta. The weight on your ankle just adds work to your kick, whereas weight off the end of your toe adds force to your kick.

I rambled about this a while ago... http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=528650&postcount=14

That's a great rationalization. Don't take this personally, but I've always found it amusing that people using jetfins with springstraps were the most vocal against ankleweights.

Are rockboots negative too?

R..

pt40fathoms:
I've got 2 dry suits, one is a shell (trilam) the other is a 7mm neoprene. Never have worn ankle weights, however, if a student "feels" more comfortable with a set on, then I tell them to use them. But, I also tell them to shed them after a few dozen dives with the new drysuit, and see if they really do need them. Most end up taking the ankle weights off after a while and end up feeling "liberated".

Use them or don't use them if you want, anyone who tells you that you SHOULD have them on is wrong, it's a matter of choice more than anything else.

My experience is similar. I've occasionally seen a student get some benefit out of ankleweights initially but these are really the exceptions and we also instruct them to see it as a training aid and to try every 10 dives to go without until they can elimininate them entirely.

R..

My boots are too big for that even with 5 pairs of socks - id be spending the entire dive upside down without my weights on the 1 suit :)

Diver0001:
but I've always found it amusing that people using jetfins with springstraps were the most vocal against ankleweights.

Are you saying you disagree with my assessment of the mechanics involved?

Spectre:
Are you saying you disagree with my assessment of the mechanics involved?

Well, Jeff..... I do believe that *if* you need to choose between using a combination like jet-fins/springstraps and rock boots or to use similarly heavy ankle weights with another combination of fins and boots that it's better (less finning effort) to go with the heavy fins. That makes sense to me and if your description of the mechanics explains why then ok.

Having said that, however, I don't really think the mechanics of most people's kicks are so fine tuned that what you're saying makes a significant difference. Secondly, the important thing either way is that your trim is correct. I'm sure you'll agree with that. And finally I think if a diver is using an ankle weight and has a reasonable chance of learning to dive without them that light efficient fins are probably a better choice for most people for the long run. At least with ankle weights you have a reasonable chance of shedding that weight at some point. With the jet-fin option you're stuck with the extra weight forever.

R..

Back
Top Bottom