Ankle weights- Yay or Nay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some need em, some don't. I usually only use them when I see divers who need them - have found that it totally depends on the suit, gear, and person.

I did get in trouble from a LDS though, for not doing an instant sale of anklweights with every suit - it's a profit center, gee wilikers...

I'm in the camp where you should try without until you find that you need them.

Diver0001:
Do your boots fit?

R..

Yes with 2 pairs of socks, there is still some movement.

Ive taken to wearing weezle booties and 4 pairs of skiing socks.

ND boot sizes seem odd. Im UK size 11 show, have size 10 drysuit boot and its at least 2 sizes too big. Others i know have the same issue. I would send it off to be changed but i cant really afford to be without the suit for a few weeks at the moment.

String:
Yes with 2 pairs of socks, there is still some movement.

Ive taken to wearing weezle booties and 4 pairs of skiing socks.

ND boot sizes seem odd. Im UK size 11 show, have size 10 drysuit boot and its at least 2 sizes too big. Others i know have the same issue. I would send it off to be changed but i cant really afford to be without the suit for a few weeks at the moment.

I see.

Well with weezle booties and 4 pairs of skiing socks your feet are sure to be warm. That's got to be the good news... :)

Needless to say you're carrying a lot more air around in your feet than you'd ideally like to. Chances are good that once you swap out the boots you'll be able to shed the ankle-weights.

When you get it done it might be worth looking into rock-boots or trek-boots or whatever Northern Diver calls their variant.

R..

Simon, thank you very much for all your advice. I really appreciate it! I went for a dive last Saturday with NO ankle weights and did NO runaways.

Ken said:
Confidence cannot be overstated. It doesn't replace proper training, and it doesn't replace acquired skills, but I'm telling you - there is a difference between THINKING you can do something, and KNOWING you can do it.

She lost her confidence in one feet first ascent from about 30 feet. It took a long time and many, many dives to get it back.

I agree completely with that Ken. I know how your wife felt!! I lost my confidence by doing run away ascents once or twice every dive for about 6 dives straight. sometimes, the divemaster with me would just hang onto my hand, so he didn't have to keep pulling me back down LOL!!

I finally got over my runaways by saying to myself " I'm under control , I have full control ". I also tend to stay near the bottom, because it gives me more confidence and I feel more secure. It got a bit tricky one day though, when this giant turtle got in my way. Lucky I saw him just in time!!!

It's also tricky when we're in shallow water and there's lots of choral, so I need to practise where I'm not spoiling anything.

Thanks very much Simon and Ken!! It's great to "talk" with you about this. I'll remember all this when I actually go diving.

JulieannevZ:
Thanks very much Simon and Ken!! It's great to "talk" with you about this. I'll remember all this when I actually go diving.
That is the best thing you can do to work out diving issues, just go diving :wink: Particularly if you can dive with more experienced divers who are willing to take you under their wing and go through your questions, check out the way you dive etc. Practice will help in all things, i still go out and do practice dives every now and then.

Met this guy 1/2 up the line doing his safety, does he need ankle weights????

ShakaZulu:
Met this guy 1/2 up the line doing his safety, does he need ankle weights????

Hm, not sure if ankle weights would actually be enough to solve ALL of his problems
:wink:

Nay. They are training wheels.

Diving wet, my wife seemed to be swimming feet up a bit and found that with a 1lb weight on each foot her trim was good. When we rearranged the weights in her weight-integrated bc, she no longer needed them. For her, it was a matter of balancing front and back weights.

Back
Top Bottom