Annoyed with my BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Going back to your trim issues...

I know you dont want to here this, but I do believe your issues would be solved with a back inflation BC. Whether that means BP&W or a standard back inflation recreational BC, thats up to you.

Try it out.. You will be amazed, I believe.

You could also ebay your Mares piece'a bc. I'm sure you could get something for it.

DIve Rite has some deals every so often as well, for a SS BP, harness, and Classic wing for around $300, or so...

Look into it, I;m sure you could afford it if you try...

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
Going back to your trim issues...

I know you dont want to here this, but I do believe your issues would be solved with a back inflation BC. Whether that means BP&W or a standard back inflation recreational BC, thats up to you.

Try it out.. You will be amazed, I believe.

<snip>

The dragonfly IS a back inflation BC.

Well, Hmmmmm....

Shows you how much I know about MARES bc's...

I still think the issue will be solved by BP&W...

Try that and see what happens...

I haven't tried the Dragonfly in person but I got the impression that it was a hybrid of sorts and not a true back inflate like the Sea Quest Raider I use to have.

JeffG once bubbled...

The dragonfly IS a back inflation BC.

I would NOT call the dragonfly airtrim a back inflation BC.

It may have some inflation in the back, but after checking the website, it appears that it also inflates similar to a jacket style BC.

When I said to try a back inflation BC, I meant, a BC that inflates SOLELY in the back. The BC i was thinking of is either a SEAQUEST BALANCE, or a traditional BP&W setup...

The dragonfly airtrim is a hybrid of the two, and gives you more problems than it solves....

Airtrapping issues, and the trim issues come to mind...

The Dragonfly is a hybrid but it is primarily a back-inflate. My problem of course is that I don't want to give up diving in the lag time between getting rid of the Mares and getting the BP/W.

My biggest issue is that I'm going to be switching to a drysuit here in the very near future (my drysuit is in, I just haven't been able to dive it yet) and although I'm *almost* in trim with my current rig, it appears that the more weight I add the further out of trim I get, so I'm concerned about what that's going to mean with the drysuit.

I also have a couple of other configuration issues that although they aren't directly related to switching from one style to another would most certainly be exacerbated by the switch.

I did hear one number about the Oxycheq singles wing and it doesn't make sense based on other information I've received so I need to do some more research about all that.

Anyone found themselves with a spare singles rig they'd like to let go to a needy newbie?

Rachel

Isnt it fun trying to get your weighting correct with new gear???
It is so much fun...

Keep trying, and get that drysuit wet!!! I would check with your LDS, and see what they have for rental. See if they will let you try something before you buy, or if they have a good return policy. Like, at my shop, you can buy it, and then if you try it out, and you dont like it, we will take it back and give you full credit towards something else, as long as its in good condition.

Look around, try ebay, you should be able to find something...

A SS BP will set you back a little bit, but then all you need is some hardware, and about 7-8 ft of webbing. Then a wing. The Oxycheq wing does look promising, but I havent heard of anyone who has actually tried it out yet... I will be looking for that soon, I hope...

I just missed a backplate on ebay the other day that ended up going for $55. I'm still poking around, it's possible that I'll come up with a bargain solution.

My LDS is a Halcyon and Oxycheq dealer so I know I'll be able to see the Oxycheq wing pretty soon and might get to test dive it as well. They're really good about returns, but they're rental stuff is pretty standard jacket bc type stuff. They do have a DUI Delta or 2 hanging around so I might be able to try that.

It looks like it's going to be 3 1/2 weeks before I can take the drysuit out. They're going to be mighty long days between now and then....

Rachel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom