Annoyed with Seafrogs quality (or lack therof)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to use TRT S-Turtle Manual trigger with my SeaFrogs housing. It worked very well for me.

I think the model I used is discontinued now and I also know they have a TTL version available.

Just tried the silicon grease this morning, it was a bit better to operate. Still very clicky/not smooth at all, but at least did not require 3 full turns to increase zoom by 3mm, thanks for the tip!

@gummybun Yes I might do this, saw a few people taking good shots with TG6 (for social media). I'm a bit of a snob/pixel peeper, just got out of APS-C to full frame on land and swore I would never go back to APS-C because of the difference in quality - I might get annoyed moving from A6500 to TG6. But we'll see, I'm not even sure how much I like diving / underwater photography (I posted about it a few weeks ago here).

Just tried the silicon grease this morning, it was a bit better to operate. Still very clicky/not smooth at all, but at least did not require 3 full turns to increase zoom by 3mm, thanks for the tip!
If it's clicking this means that the gear is snagging on something and you're fighting it. Figure out what exactly it is snagging on, get it out of the way, and it will be smooth.

Yes, I gave the silicone a try and there is an improvement. I would even say the issue may be gone, but I will want to give it more time to be sure. Great idea, thanks.

@Pyndle, you probably are doing this, so my apologies in advance, but you are shifting the zoom gear slightly beyond the front of the lens edge (2mm) before snugging it into the case, yes? Getting that distance 'just right' and then wiggling it gently into the drive gear is the biggest PITA!

.. slight misalignments can put stress on it, which can cause it to get bent out of shape and snag on housing elements...
Yes, so I have been looking at my situation more closely. When the camera is in the housing and 'working' or binding (either) - I take off the front port and look square on the camera lens and I see the camera is not centered. It is shifted to 'user hand Right' or towards the shutter release side (shutter side). This shift pushes the Rubber Gear to contact the ports bayonet on the shutter side and binds there. Without the port installed there is no binding so that suggests that it is the issue.

One work around may be the card stock that Barmaglot suggests (thanks) but my camera is a very tight fit already so I tried removing the silicone side camera body seat on the 'user Left side' which seems to relieve the pressure and now the camera does not get pushed to the Shutter side. Now when I look at the camera with the port removed it sits square.

If further testing suggests this is the 'only' issue I will sand back the bumper (or print a replacement).

Been using my a6000 with the Miekon housing since they made it - dunno how many years that is. No problems in general. I had the main closing clasp break last year and assumed the housing was toast. Nope, they sell a very reasonably priced replacement part.

If it's clicking this means that the gear is snagging on something and you're fighting it. Figure out what exactly it is snagging on, get it out of the way, and it will be smooth.

Yes, it hits against one of the two pillars on the right side. It's as if the ring was not perfectly round anymore but oval, and some angles go too far on the right and hit that thing. Tried to rearrange it in any position possible, doesn't work. There is a TON of play when I move the wheel - that ring moves up/down/left/right a lot, feels poorly manufactured.

@Pyndle, you probably are doing this, so my apologies in advance, but you are shifting the zoom gear slightly beyond the front of the lens edge (2mm) before snugging it into the case, yes? Getting that distance 'just right' and then wiggling it gently into the drive gear is the biggest PITA!
Yes I am, still blocks. But grease helps. Has to be reapplied very regularly though, lasts me 2 dives max, but still a good fix :)

Yes, it hits against one of the two pillars on the right side. It's as if the ring was not perfectly round anymore but oval, and some angles go too far on the right and hit that thing. Tried to rearrange it in any position possible, doesn't work. There is a TON of play when I move the wheel - that ring moves up/down/left/right a lot, feels poorly manufactured.
Maybe your copy of 16-50mm lens has a stiffer zoom ring than mine? You could try stiffening the rubber part by cutting a ring out of some plastic sheeting and gluing it to the back of the gear, or 3d printing an L-profile circle to insert into the rubber.

It would be really useful for me if you could shoot a video with your phone showing the gear movement and the camera as installed. If that is at all feasible?

It would be really useful for me if you could shoot a video with your phone showing the gear movement and the camera as installed. If that is at all feasible?
Not sure whom this is addressed to, but here is a video of me installing the camera (a6300) in my housing (Salted Line A6xxx Gen.3).

As you can see, it's quite straightforward - I simply align the gear with the edge of the lens, make sure it's on straight, put the camera in the housing, test the zoom, close and latch the housing, and the zoom just works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom