Annual equipment inspection??? Lots of questions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I've now ordered my Apeks IP tester. Assuming doing that test, together with the other checks outlined in the regulator inspection (sticky) posts on a monthly or at least before each dive basis, what would be suggested in terms of the 'annual servicing'?

Would I be correct in saying that if the regs passes all the tests indicated and isn't showing signs of wear/tear that there is NO need to get it broken down by a shop? This is the assumption that I'm now working under.

Adjacently, it was mentioned by awap I believe, to not neglect care of one's SPG and BCD. I'm comfortable with inspection/maintenance of BCD - what should one do in terms of inspecting one's SPG? Is there a similar, if smaller, list for an SPG?

Apologies for all the pedestrian questions but I'm learning quickly here so I'm working under the assumption that many others are too.

TIA,
J

The hose connection on the SPG leaves threads and an interior cavity arounf the spool exposed to whatever you are diving in. Pressure drives the water into those areas and I doubt if even a good long soak really cleans it up. So, watch for small leaks at that connection. I like to disassemble that connection at least annually on regs I use in SW, clean it up a bit, and lube it pretty heavily to discourage corrosion. Plus, it is not a bad idea to check the accuracy of each SPG at the same time.

I feel you are correct in your assumption. But I always carry a complete spare setup when I go diving. I have never missed a dive due to a regulator problem. And I have saved quite a few for other divers. One spare between a buddy team works well.

....Would I be correct in saying that if the regs passes all the tests indicated and isn't showing signs of wear/tear that there is NO need to get it broken down by a shop? This is the assumption that I'm now working under.

Apologies for all the pedestrian questions but I'm learning quickly here so I'm working under the assumption that many others are too.

TIA,
J

Hi InTheDrink,

I'm operating under the same assumption.

I am now CLOSELY watching the IP's on two Mares Abyss regs that are coming up on 2 years since their last service .... my guess is that I'll be rebuilding them at around the 3 years / 200 dive mark, unless something changes before then. My guess is that they could go a bit longer, but 3 years or 200 dives "feels" about right for how I'm using the regs.

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom