Another Boating Scenario for Captians..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like you were just being a skerdycat. I think you had plenty of room. Clip on and let it ride for a few minutes and see how it does then get wet!

catherine96821:
What are the conditions that make Penguin Shoals so treacherous? Converging currents?
Isn't there a Hammerhead schooling / siting spot there?
http://www.esri.com/mapmuseum/mapbook_gallery/volume20/mining5.html
Because the Hawaiian Islands are the most isolated land mass on the planet, they pretty much come up out of nowhere with vast depths not that far offshore. The Penguin Banks which are relatively shallow and long - maybe 20 miles with a 225' or so average depth. So you get the funnel effect of huge amounts of water all trying to get through the same constrictions - the islands themselves. The seas can roar up into a fury in no time, and the Portlock coast is close enough to be peripherally affected most of the year. Even Navy carriers have had troubles doing flight ops on the Banks there.
Because it's so relatively shallow, it's not good sub water. Years ago, the Carl Vinson Battle Group was doing workups off Molokai with no US submarine support - they do their own thing on deployments anyway, and just for laughs, some S3 Viking carrier antisubmarine aircraft dropped live sonobuoys. Turns out there was a Soviet Charlie class SSGN under Vinson where the US SSN would normally be. US intel had no idea the boat had wandered that far into US coastal waters.
I don't know about hammerheads, but if you shoot something like a nice ahi out on the banks, you best have a bangstick handy because you will be visited by a large tiger shark. Two or more of them and people will always wonder what happened to you that day.

yea, the physics are amazing.

The venbturi effect plays some havoc too

you know what they say...."they don't call it the Alenui ha ha for nothing!

By the way, Catherine, although this thread is more fun there is a great book out there that explains everything you ever wanted to know about the physics ocean waves, tides, beaches and more. It's Waves and Beaches by Willard Bascom. It is written in laymans terms and contains a wealth of information. It's a classic and is a popular book among ocean enthusiasts.

Ill be home in a few days, I'll learn ya then.....

Waves and Beaches

thanks...I will check that out! I should just buy it..they have used copies.

WC..gotta do some diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom