Another BP/W convert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phoenix31tt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I recently decided to give BP/W. Got a Hog setup from Scubaboard member Jim Lapenta @ UDM Aquatics, customer service was top notch, he helped me decide on the system and offered other advice on hose configurations etc. He also offered to thread the system for me which I refused as I wanted the experience of doing it myself. Following the packaged instructions and double checking with online resources made threading the system a breeze, I’d say that anybody who can follow instructions can set up one of these.

Here's the pictured setup:

IMG_2991.jpg

My wife and I also switched to a 40" under the arm primary with secondary bungeed around the neck.. this setup makes so much more sense than the traditional secondary placement... your backup is a few centimeters away and its so seamless to donate air from your primary. Good stuff

I’ve only done one pool session with the new setup and after a crotch strap adjustment I must say hands down I will never revert to a traditional BC again, the system is extremely simple and clutter free it changes the whole experience, not to mention staying trim was easier than ever. At times it felt like I wasn’t even wearing anything as compared to my previous Mares Dragon.
So there it is, another recreational diver that has been convinced that BP/W’s are not only for Tec divers… I hope that stigma is removed soon so that more rec divers can enjoy what bp/w’s have to offer.

I have a dive trip at the end of the month and now I’m even more excited to put the new setup to practical use… it’ll be great

M

Attachments

• IMG_2991_2.jpg
    IMG_2991_2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 602
I am right behind ya'! Also purchased a rig (HOG BP/W and reg) from Jim after a lot of telephone support. I should have it all any second/minute/hour/day!

The choice of 40" primary is interesting. I've heard of a 5' under the arm but not 40". I use a 7' under my canister light but I wouldn't mind trying a shorter hose.

It's funny, I went diving this weekend and an O/W instructor forgot to bring his gear. I offered to let him borrow my BP/W but he said no. Something to the effect of "I don't dive tec gear, I have a hard enough time keeping my own gear straight."

the real fun begins if/when you go back to your LDS for advanced training. Usually the person you end up with as a buddy (or others in the group) becomes enamoured with the concept of the BP/W, and the LDS has to do its darndest to shoot it down (most of the time an epic failure).......

been there, lived it..... still converting folks.....

Then when you cross over from the "master diver" track to the "tech" track they tell you all your gear is wrong and you need to buy it all over again.

i hear you guys on the advanced training and it'll probably be worse for me as i'm yet to see another local with a BP/W configuration!! My instructor is out of the country at the moment and i'm waiting to see his facial expression when i show him the new setup

The choice of 40" primary is interesting. I've heard of a 5' under the arm but not 40". I use a 7' under my canister light but I wouldn't mind trying a shorter hose.

while researching i was looking at the 7' hose, but my wife has an issue with anything being wrapped around her neck like that so thats out... then i looked at the 5' config (under the arm, across the chest and around the back of the neck), and she's ok with that. However we just got married so funds arent what they used to be lol and seeing as i already have a 40" hose i decided to research using that configuration.

So the 40" just runs under the arm and straight up in the front, the only thing i required to make this work was a 90degree angle joint or a swivel. I got the swivel as it could be used with the 5' as well if we switch in the future.

Things look promising for the 40" though so we'll see how it goes

There is no difference between a 7' and 5' hose with respect to routing behind the neck. 7' just goes under a can light/tucked and a 5' doesn't. Just FYI.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Technically there is a two foot difference...

A typical octo is 40" so it seems like it would work to me.

yup i used my same octo hose, hope I don't get bashed for my primary being a yellow hose.

and I thought there was a routing difference between 5' and 7', in that the 7' makes an extra loop around the neck whereas the 5' just comes behind, but of course I've never seen it in person so idk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom