Another Chicago Dive Party

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MgicTwnger:
Monthly sounds like a good idea, it's been moving in that direction anyways. My usual haunt is Mermet, and I'd be glad to help get that togeather for those willing to make the drive.
Carla and everyone, we can figure out exactly who's going when I get back next week, but right now I'm waiting for the shuttle to the airport. Three boat tanks a day plus shore!!! :biggrinpi

Hmmm - sounds like we may have more than the charter can handle. Will we draw straws or thumb wrestle for the spots?

BTW a monthly Chicago-area get together could be fun. Cold water divers, unite!

I like Wazee: there's not a school bus in sight. :)

Is there any special appeal to Haigh or Mermet, or are they just places to get wet?

Always a crowd pleaser, tropical & tantalizing.
Ok, ok, would you believe murky & muddy?

Nothing like a 2 hour drive for crappy vis & freezing water. But on the other hand...there is the yellow submarine.

Kat:
Always a crowd pleaser, tropical & tantalizing.
Ok, ok, would you believe murky & muddy?

Nothing like a 2 hour drive for crappy vis & freezing water. But on the other hand...there is the yellow submarine.

Yes, indeed, lovely Pearl Lake... I've done more dives there than I'd care to admit to... but then again we DO live really close and my husband DM'd and now teaches for the LDS...

At least they have picnic facilities and friendly bluegills... actually the most fun I've ever had in Pearl Lake was spent feeding the bluegills and/or pursuing the elusive crawdaddy...

It's great for students and/or trying out new equipment, etc. though.

Do any other local quarries have anything more interesting to offer than mud and bluegills?

nitroxbabe:
Yes, indeed, lovely Pearl Lake... I've done more dives there than I'd care to admit to... but then again we DO live really close and my husband DM'd and now teaches for the LDS...

At least they have picnic facilities and friendly bluegills... actually the most fun I've ever had in Pearl Lake was spent feeding the bluegills and/or pursuing the elusive crawdaddy...

It's great for students and/or trying out new equipment, etc. though.

Do any other local quarries have anything more interesting to offer than mud and bluegills?

Pearl always seems to have a milky quality to the water. Haigh was clear at times last year, but sucked pretty much all tear this past year.
Gilboa in Ohio at least has vis, if ya get there before the bottom walkers arrive.

Laser:
Pearl always seems to have a milky quality to the water. Haigh was clear at times last year, but sucked pretty much all tear this past year.
Gilboa in Ohio at least has vis, if ya get there before the bottom walkers arrive.

Hey! I know those people too! Vis was far, far better the first day of the weekend. It deteriorated steadily and quickly. I HOPE they were new divers, those bottom-walkers....

We went down there last year - I agree that the vis was pretty good overall. The trout were loads of fun: actually, they were the best thing about diving Gilboa IMO. I was laughing my head off while being beaten up by a bunch of greedy fish. I even had them lurking under my arms, waiting for me to drop something.

But man, the instructors/students certainly felt that they owned the place. Twice that weekend while I was on the schoolbus (hangin' with the trout) I was literally forced off the bus by instructors with students. They just came down almost on top of me and didn't move. So I had to. Jerks. I blame the instructors, not the students.

And no, don't ask me who they were, I have absolutely no idea. "It was him! That guy in the hood and heavy wetsuit!" LOL

Hi guys,

I'm back from Coz :frown: and I'll post a trip repor eventually, but it was great, as usual.

I've been in touch with Capt. Mike, and we're all set for June 12-13, two 2-tank trips on Saturday, and a morning 2-tank on Sunday. He charges according to his "zones" and wants to do zone 1 on the Saturday trips, $75 each, and zone 2 on the Sunday trip, $85. He will arrange for air fills between the Saturday trips and between Saturday and Sunday. Also, he can get special rates at Trump's and other hotels.

The deposit for each trip is $100, which comes to $16.66 per, or $50 for all three. Send me the dough, and I handle that end. Here's who I've got down, so far:

Saturday (2 trips)

Me
netmange
laser
nitroxbabe
Kurt (Mr. nitroxbabe)
heimdall (the diver formally known as reefraff) - uncertain

Sunday (1 trip)

same cast of characters

Let me know ASAP if you're in.

nitroxbabe:
But man, the instructors/students certainly felt that they owned the place. Twice that weekend while I was on the schoolbus (hangin' with the trout) I was literally forced off the bus by instructors with students. They just came down almost on top of me and didn't move. So I had to. Jerks. I blame the instructors, not the students.
The instructors up there are getting worse and worse...you should see what happens when you don't move away...students begin to follow you around thinking they are following their instructor or DM...then you get an eyeful of "what the F**K are you doing with my students" when you return them...It's rather comical. I spend a majority of my time at gilboa playing around the tubes b/c there's no students out there...then the plane when things get somewhat civil by the dock.

I have to see our dive shop's charter schedule. At that point if you have a seat, I would be interested in diving with you guys/gals for a day.

Would there still be room?

diverbrian:
I have to see our dive shop's charter schedule. At that point if you have a seat, I would be interested in diving with you guys/gals for a day.

Would there still be room?

Laser is the only confirmation I've had so far today. As far as I know reefraff is uncertain, so if he dosn't want to do it, or someone else cancels, you're in. Which day(s) do you want to do? The boat takes six divers.

Back
Top Bottom