Another E8-119 or an E8-130

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmalinowski

Contributor
Reaction score
I just rec'd my PST E8-119 from ScubaToys (thanks very much). They only had the one, so I grabbed it figuring that I'll buy another when they come in. My question is: Should I get another 119 or go for the 130? I'm leaning to the 130 since it is the same diameter (no messing with the tank straps between dives) and only 2lbs heavier on land and 1lb lighter more boyant empty (same lb's boyant full).

I guess I just want to make sure that it makes sense to have two different sized tanks. If I get into doubles as some point in the future, I will get the partner for one or the other. Until then...

Thoughts?

Thanks.

If you like the 119, get another 119. No use switching between different tanks constantly, especially if there's not a very good reason for it.

Yeah I'm gonna have to agree with jonnythan on this one, I just picked up the same exact thing as you yesterday, so I will be buying another E-119 down the road, in case I go to doubles, so I have a matched set.

Lil' Irish Temper:
Yeah I'm gonna have to agree with jonnythan on this one, I just picked up the same exact thing as you yesterday, so I will be buying another E-119 down the road, in case I go to doubles, so I have a matched set.
Well, if I go to doubles, I would definitely have the matched set. As for switching tanks, would there really be much involved in this? I mean, the diameters are the same, so adjusting the tank straps won't be an issue. Would such a negligable weight difference be an issue? Will the two inches make a big difference on body orientation (no comments from the pervert gallary out there)?

Maybe I'll get one of each...

Larry, make me a deal.

cmalinowski:
Well, if I go to doubles, I would definitely have the matched set. As for switching tanks, would there really be much involved in this? I mean, the diameters are the same, so adjusting the tank straps won't be an issue. Would such a negligable weight difference be an issue? Will the two inches make a big difference on body orientation (no comments from the pervert gallary out there)?

Maybe I'll get one of each...

Larry, make me a deal.

I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction, Because in truth I know about as much as you. I think someone with doubles experience is more qualified to answer the questions. In my case I would rather be safe then sorry, and only have to buy 1 more tank instead of two, just in case it won't work. Just an opinion though. :D

Lil' Irish Temper:

Just something to think about if you're planning to use the E8-119's for doubles ... they're head-heavy.

I use them, and it's taken some effort to learn how.

You'll want to consider a lightweight backplate, and moving as much weight as you can down onto a weightbelt ... assuming you're drysuit diving and have any weight to move down there. Even with that, you'll need the top band right at the break in the crown, which makes reaching your valves more difficult.

It's doable, but I'm not convinced they're the best choice. If I had it to do over, I'd go with E7-100's ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Just something to think about if you're planning to use the E8-119's for doubles ... they're head-heavy.

I use them, and it's taken some effort to learn how.

You'll want to consider a lightweight backplate, and moving as much weight as you can down onto a weightbelt ... assuming you're drysuit diving and have any weight to move down there. Even with that, you'll need the top band right at the break in the crown, which makes reaching your valves more difficult.

It's doable, but I'm not convinced they're the best choice. If I had it to do over, I'd go with E7-100's ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was told I'm going to have to switch to an Aluminum B/P and get rid of the SS or I'll be laying on the bottom doing the croppy flop.

Sorry, back to cmalinowski's questions.

As for switching tanks, would there really be much involved in this? Would such a negligable weight difference be an issue? Will the two inches make a big difference on body orientation?

NWGratefulDiver:

As with anything, this varies. I've read this a lot, but do not find it to be the case with me. For the record, I'm 6'1". The doubles situation will be something you'll have to assess down the line.

As for singles I used both and found that the 130 required me to wear more weight, which according to PST's specs (at the time of purchase) shouldn't have been the case. You also pay 20% more for the 130 to get 9.2% more gas. I would recommend that you get another 119 to dive as singles--assuming that you like the 119 as a single now.

PST's have good resale value so either way you go you can sell the tank(s) you don't want and recover most of the cost and apply it to whatever you decide to double.

FrankF:
PST's have good resale value so either way you go you can sell the tank(s) you don't want and recover most of the cost and apply it to whatever you decide to double.
re-sell stuff? That's a novel idea. I thought I was just supposed to accumulate this stuff. I have been diving for 2.5 yrs now and I have a bunch of stuff and many duplicates of some of it...:)

FrankF:
As with anything, this varies. I've read this a lot, but do not find it to be the case with me. For the record, I'm 6'1". The doubles situation will be something you'll have to assess down the line.

To clarify ... head-heavy for doubles. For singles, the E8-119 trims nicely.

I use them for both ... I love them as a singles cylinder, but I do feel they're not the ideal choice for doubles.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom