Another opinion: To buddy or not to buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sailordiver11

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm new to diving with only 15 dives. I recently outfitted myself with all new top of the line gear, which includes black ice BC, airsource, suunto cobra 3 computer, dry suit, steel tanks, etc.
I have an opportunity to dive with a neighbor who has a lot more experience than me.
My problem is that he is wanting me to forgo the use of my integrated computer for a traditional console setup. Also, he wants me to give up the airsource, for an octo setup. When I tell him I want to use my drysuit, he discourages me from using it and says my 7mm wetsuit should be fine. I tell him I want to use my steel tank because I believe it works better with my bc, he says that I should get use to using an aluminum tank. He says that if I want to dive with him, I need to use the gear that he considers best. He believes in more simplicity in gear. Which I don't totally disagree with him, but I feel he's being a bit narrow?
My dilemma is this, since I've made a big investment in gear and I want to be comfortable using it, I feel that I need to practice with it. But by telling him that I want to use my gear might jeopardize my diving with him.
So, should I stand my ground or should I give in and do it the way he wants it to be done? And just learn what I can from him.
I could use other opinions on this.

Yes, welcome to diving. Everyone believes theirs is the only proper way to do things. For me the only meaningful change being suggested is the octo and the only reason I say that is that it is principally there to benefit your buddy and I might concede for a regular dive buddy to use something he is more comfortable with (though with your airsource you will be donating your primary and you will be breathing the secondary). All of the other suggested changes are based on the notion that simpler things are less likely to fail. While that is true, if you keep your gear well maintained, this will not be a problem. To mitigate failure risk, however, I suggest that you get a mini spg (if you have a spare port install it and wear it) and an inexpensive backup computer (that runs the same algorithm as your Cobra; wear it or stick it in a BCD pocket). And by all means keep your dry suit and stay warm! Hope you work it out. A good RDB is hard to find, but it sounds like this person is very dogmatic and you need to decide if you can deal with that. (It would drive me nuts!)

I think this highlights one of the problems associated with the common advice to new divers to find a Mentor to teach them about good diving techniques. I would consider this person's advice a mixed bag. If you were my neighbor and you wanted to use me as a Mentor, I would be giving you very different advice. I would certainly not be matching his advice, but I would not be perfectly aligned with your original choices, either. Overall, I would say that you have already made more good choices than he has.

Another curious thing is his insistence that you do it all his way. Most experienced divers can work with the gear you have. If you were to show up with your gear in my TecReational Diver class, I would not approve of all your choices, and I would counsel you, but I would still let you take the class in that gear and would not care if you decided to stay with every bit of it.

He is a more experienced diver than you are, but his choices tell me that he is not really an advanced diver. If those are the preconditions for his diving with you, then don't dive with him. You will be better off.

My buddies and I get into a number of debates about what gear is best and it's best use. That being said, we all dive with the gear we have and enjoy each others company.

The point is, that I am not going to be told what equipment I have to use, and I will not continue to dive with someone that is too big a pain in the a** in the water, or out. There are a number of diplomatic ways to let your buddy know that you want to dive and not listen to criticism of your equipment, but someone nicer than me will have to help you out on that.

Over the years, if you continue diving, you will probably go through a number of buddies, and loosing one because of their attitude is better than some other ways.

Bob
----------------------------
"If you don't like it, go on the internet and complain." Brian Griffin

I agree with t-mac. Personal preference and prejudice should be recognized for what it is- personal. and not for everyone. Your buddy should be willing to familiarize yourself with your equipment to the extent necessary to receive air from you if needed, and deal with release of weight or bcd in an emergency. As for the4 rest, tell the buddy that appreciate his perspective, but that this is the gear you will dive. Show him you protocol for sharing air ( he get your primary and you iuse the alternate air source.) Show him you releases. Explain briefly how your integrated computer works, and maybe even explain that you have caluculated your optimum weighting for using the steel tanks. Hopefully he will lighten up ( and at some point maybe get interested in gear other than which he has.( Dry suit for California diving makes sense to me!) Good luck, and congratulations on your excellent gear choices!
DivemasterDennis

Sounds like your buddy is Hogarthian. Wouldn't be my choice to dive with someone that inflexible - him, not others that practice that style.

With your configuration in your conditions I'd rather have a steel tank also.

If you can't find someone else to dive with in the Long Beach area you aren't really trying...:wink:

Sounds like your buddy is Hogarthian or DIR. Wouldn't be my choice to dive with someone that inflexible. Most DIR folks I know aren't.
I don't think he is DIR at all.

My problem is that he is wanting me to forgo the use of my integrated computer for a traditional console setup. Also, he wants me to give up the airsource, for an octo setup. When I tell him I want to use my drysuit, he discourages me from using it and says my 7mm wetsuit should be fine. I tell him I want to use my steel tank because I believe it works better with my bc, he says that I should get use to using an aluminum tank.

The bold items are not at all DIR. Every DIR person I know would be promoting the use of a dry suit and steel tanks over a wet suit and aluminum tanks.

I fixed that...

You should ask him why he considers his choices to be better than yours. That should allow you to make an informed decision yourself. After all, he may have a point. Or it may be all bollocks. You won't know unless he gives you some reasons (if he actually has any, that is).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom