another recommendation thread (simple unit)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhwestfall

Woof!
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Sorry, but things get so dynamic in the market place, and the search function is horrible.....

Anyhow - looking for a simple air only unit for my wife. I'd like a PC interface, but it isn't the deal breaker. No interest in A/I. What is out there? Wrist mount or pop it in a console - either is a choice. User replacable batteries a must. Yes, cost considerations weigh in....

What you got for me?

The first computers my wife an I used was the Genesis React Pro. Simple to use and nitrox ready. I really liked the large bar graphs. Only thing I didn't like was that temperature and elapse dive time are on alternate pages requiring you to press a button to see that info while diving. Also, I would log my dives from last to first so I didn't have to scroll through the entire computer memory. I had two of them and still have one. They have never given me any trouble. Though I would recommend buying through local dealers, one can get a React Pro for $230 or one in a console with compass for about $330 at Leisure Pro.

Last edited:
This one seems to fit your needs. It can be worn on the wrist or put in a console.
You could check with your LDS or check online for pricing etc. I like Oceanic computers.

http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_computers_veo2.0.html

I like my Puck. I've used Suuntos too. I like them as well. Both have nice big displays. The Vyper has more buttons but both are easy to program. The new Zoop has the interface as does the Puck (Both want way too much for a cable).

Mares Customer support is very responsive. My M2 died under warranty and could not be fixed so they sent me a Puck. It's going on 3 years old and still on the original battery, but I only do 15 or 20 dives a year.

I too am a fan of Oceanics and just bought an OC1. However, I have been using the Mares puck. Simple, elegant, and has been a wonderful computer. Can't go wrong with this as an entry computer. And you can use it in a console or wrist mount.

Eric

Sorry, but things get so dynamic in the market place, and the search function is horrible.........
That is why we designed the Dive Computers Research Tool.
There are more than 100 dive computers in the database and several of them have videos to show the computer in action.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Reactions: Jax
That is why we designed the Dive Computers Research Tool.
There are more than 100 dive computers in the database and several of them have videos to show the computer in action.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

That is somewhat helpful, but real world experiences and comments are better (all taken with a grain of salt) to evaluate by.

Google Dive Computer Wizard.

Gives Pre Dive, Dive, and post dive information on a large selection of computers, as well as Pro's and Con's of each.

Sub-Gear XP-10. Cheap, can do nirtox, and connects to the computer using an irda interface. Irda interfaces cost $10 so you do not need to worry about a special cable with it.

Back
Top Bottom