Another tragedy in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If there was something wrong with his gear, maybe Annual servicing may have prevented this??? Again, just speculation as we are missing the fine details regarding the drowning. If someone had him by his weight belt, DUMP IT and instant buyoancy. Lead is cheap enough to save a life. I've heard several divers say they they would NEVER dump their weight cause they spent too much on the coated weights. I told them couple stories till they changed their tune and realized that weight belts not only get you under wearing neoprene, it is a safety buffer when used properly.

Dive Safe

Tragic

My condolences to the family and to anyone who may have know this diver.

There is alot of holes in the story (as there normally is when diving accidents are first reported) I suppose it dosn't really matter what the problem was, the point is he did get to the surface and was in contact with a person that could render assistance. The fact that the 2nd person was in contact with the distressed diver and failed to make him positivly bouyant would lead me to believe that this was a group of novice divers.

A sad day for all

As with the rest of you my condolences go to the family and friends of the young man involved in this tadegy.

Several things come to my mind though.
1. What type of BCD was this Guy wearing.

2. Was he using a BA rig from the Fire station if he was then that would account for his mask being missing. Also if he was using a BA rig then unless the rules are different from when I was taught to use them he should have known that BA rigs and training do not cover Scuba diving.

3. The one thing that concerns me however is how much weight did the guy have on that meant that a buddy could not keep a firm hold on him for long enough to drop the weight belt completely and possibly enable him to float.
This concerns me because I notice it every Day that people are consistently overweighted which puts them a grave risk if problems occur at or near the surface.

Again my condolences to the bereaved and best wishes and sympathy to the rest of the guys in the boat it's never easy to lose a member of your crew especially a friend

Raffles

My prayers and condolences to the friends and family.

Although this is a very sad story, it is helpful for a newbie like myself to hear stories like this. During my classes all that was discussed was how safe and easy diving was. It was definatly over simplified.

Very sad and tragic story.

First, I feel for the family and friends, as they have lost a loved one. No parent should have to bury a child.

That being said, now comes the really cold part.

This is just another example of the stupidity that some people have. Does anybody know if any of them were certified. I hope none of them were, cause if even one of them was certified he needs to have lots of bodily harm done to them and a fat lawsuit filed against him.

If nobody on the boat was certified, then IMHO I don't think this should be any concern of ours.

Why on earth would FIREFIGHTERS of all people choose to disregard seeking proper training? Is this an example of the gene pool at work.

Kyleterry,

In response to your post. Scuba diving is like any other sport, proper training is required, there are rules that have to be followed. If you choose to disregard these rules then there will be a price to pay. Myself, I choose to follow the rules and stay away from anyone that doesn't.
If you seek the proper training and follow the rules, recreational scuba diving is a safe and relaxing sport, if not then.........

ID

This is so incredibly shocking and sad. It is good to hear these stories though, so that we all remember to recognize the dangers and dive smart!

I actually went and read the article. It states that the dead man was NOT a certified diver.

They do not know if any of the others on the boat that day were certified. They don't know who he got the gear from or where the air fills came from but they speculate it was from a close friend.

The way I see it, there are a couple of people at fault here.

1) the dead man, for trying to participate in a potentially deadly sport without proper training.

and

2) whoever it was that supplied an untrained, uncertified diver with equipment and air.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers,

Originally posted by Ladydiver

2) whoever it was that supplied an untrained, uncertified diver with equipment and air.

I think this goes deeper than most people think.

Who read their Latest UJ?

In the DM and assisting section, there was the accident Senario. Briefly, a newly qualified diver went into shop asked about dives, saying she was a beginner, and was booked on a boat. When she get there found it was a 26m dive. In water at depth had problem. and with buddy ended dive via a AAS ascent.

The official PADI analysis of accident was that she was doing a dive beyond her capability and had overbreated her reg. Both her and buddy had done correct thing and aborted with suitable ascent.

No where did they realise that the fault lay with the dive shop. Having said she was a beginner, why was she booked on a dive to 26m? Had the DM on the boat checked peoples qualifications? logbooks?

If the PADI analysis of such a mistake is so obviously wrong, how can we expect dive centres to behave professionally, and not let people do dives they are not qualified to do.

The case mentioned by ladydiver would have been prevented at two different points if people had just been consciencious.

I've had similar experiences when less qualified friends have booked trips and found the dive unsuitable having expresseley asked for OW suitable dives.

Jon T

It sure is a sad day when somebody dies (while diving or not).
As a beginner, this reminds me of safety rules and makes me extra careful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom