Another worrying tale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wapyaly

Contributor
Reaction score
A friend reported to me and my boyfriend today that a female work colleague went to barbados on holiday a couple of weeks back. She was apparoached by a male on the beach and asked if she would like to try scuba diving, she agreed. She had never dived before. Apparently on the first (and only) dive she was taken down to 22 metres and paniked. The dive instructor tried to hold her down but she did not understand what was going on. She bolted for the surface and as a result burst a number of blood vessels in her lungs and now has pneumonia.

At the time of writing I am trying to get some more details on exactly what happened and who this guy was/ what dive centre he was from.

:eek:

Scary. You should find the guy and report him to the agencies and local authorities.

I didn't know about all the risks, until I started taking classes myself - DCS, nitrogen narcosis, octo, CESA - what the hell is that?. In fact, I also thought that diver breathe pure oxygen, so I think there are a lot 'non-diver' misconceptions... so your friend is not really to blame to fall for this guy.

Unfortunately, diving is a little bit more complicated than 'breathing compressed air in water'.

wapyaly once bubbled...
A friend reported to me and my boyfriend today that a female work colleague went to barbados on holiday a couple of weeks back. She was apparoached by a male on the beach and asked if she would like to try scuba diving, she agreed. She had never dived before. Apparently on the first (and only) dive she was taken down to 22 metres and paniked. The dive instructor tried to hold her down but she did not understand what was going on. She bolted for the surface and as a result burst a number of blood vessels in her lungs and now has pneumonia.

At the time of writing I am trying to get some more details on exactly what happened and who this guy was/ what dive centre he was from.

:eek:

Yes we was also taken down to a similar depth on our first dive in Barbados without knowing of any risks involved, we didn't even know that we had to come up slowly or not hold our breath, we also entered a shipwreck, and at one point the diving instructor left me on my own to explore the outside of the wreck whilst he went off holding the hands of two girls!
Yes it was great fun but looking back rather dangerous :eek:

Back
Top Bottom