Anti-Diver Sentiment on Cape Ann

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LobstaMan:
I did a drive by(no weapons involved) today of Lane's(Insane's??) Cove and saw the warning sign about being within 25' of a lobster pot or buoy. At the bottom of the sign(partly obsured) describes this as a town ordinance, not a MA law. Anyway, sounds virtually unenforceable to me. They do make try to make Lane's Cove a diver-free zone, don't they? I bet there's no town ordinance prohibiting other lobstermen from getting near each other's pots/buoys. I'd guess that's where most of the damage and raiding comes from--competiting lobstermen. I don't think I'll ever dive that site--locals seem a bit too aggressive.

LobstaMan

Wow. I thought the ordinance was still in the proposal stage. At least, I got that impression from reading a few sites. My understanding was that the proposal was going to be further discussed in early August.

Man, Cape Ann has a serious hate on...

Here's an idea.

When divers head to Cape Ann, carry $2 bills. Use them in local shops and tell the shop owners that you are divers. Pretty soon, when all those $2 bills are circulating, the local shop keepers will understand the impact of divers on their community.

Jeff

jtoorish:
Here's an idea.

When divers head to Cape Ann, carry $2 bills. Use them in local shops and tell the shop owners that you are divers. Pretty soon, when all those $2 bills are circulating, the local shop keepers will understand the impact of divers on their community.

Jeff
actuall not a bad idea. but pay with only singles...

We all pretty much have the same sentiment but what a load of *****. Has anyone here ever seen another diver raid a trap? I can understand why you would not want to answer if yes but I have never seen it. If I did, I would stop them. It's a stupid risk for one. It's also like going to the zoo to shoot a deer.

If we were as evil as articles like this suggest, we could organize for a night commando raid and sink the entire fleet and cut free every single trap. I mean give me a break if we wanted to "cause damage" we could do it pretty easily.

Cape residents are not apparently aware of the $$ we bring in, beach clean up dives, etc., etc. There are jerks in every community for sure, and that most definitely includes lobsterman, but our reputation is ridiculous.

--Matt

Ya know....i don't even have a lobster license...but I have NEVER seen a diver raid a traip....or heard of one who did...trust me if I had they would be villified both here, and reported to local authorities...

This 25 foot ordinance forces divers into a VERY scary position. Look at dive spots such as Lane's, Cathedral, Magnolia and others...i don't think we could even be on the BEACH at some of these and fulfill that ordnance...

--L

lord1234:
...This 25 foot ordinance forces divers into a VERY scary position. Look at dive spots such as Lane's, Cathedral, Magnolia and others...i don't think we could even be on the BEACH at some of these and fulfill that ordnance...

--L

Bingo we have a winner!!!

That is EXACTLY what they want. They can't ban diving in the area for obvious legal reasons so they'll make it such a pain in the butt people will go elsewhere. The fact that they are trying so hard to avoid is that the reason their traps are coming up empty more often now is because they're overfishing the supply of keeper size lobsters.

I would be happy to get a ticket...because I am the type of prick that will take it to court and fight it...i think a law like this has already been thrown out in Rockport...

Here's a question... since I have a valid non-commercial lobster license issued by the Commonwealth, what if the lobster buoy I'm diving next to is marking a pot I own? Are they telling me a town ordinance prevents me from legally checking my own traps on scuba with a state-issued lobster license that specificly has a diving endorsement?

MSilvia:
Here's a question... since I have a valid non-commercial lobster license issued by the Commonwealth, what if the lobster buoy I'm diving next to is marking a pot I own? Are they telling me a town ordinance prevents me from legally checking my own traps on scuba with a state-issued lobster license that specificly has a diving endorsement?

We should all get buoy and dive licenses and put pots in all our favorite dive spots....

--Matt

That's what I'm thinking... pots or not if we dive near (or with) our own buoys, it would really complicate enforcement. I don't know of any law saying you have to have a pot if you have a buoy, but the license does let us pick buoy colors. I think it would be interesting to hear how they justify hassling someone about checking their own gear.

That aside, I'm still wondering how far offshore local laws have jurisdiction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom