anxiety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One piece of advice my instructor gave me was to slow down - in trying to do the skill quickly I wasn't getting the right results. When I slowed down and focused on what I knew I needed to do to complete the skill it went much better.

One piece of advice my instructor gave me was to slow down - in trying to do the skill quickly I wasn't getting the right results. When I slowed down and focused on what I knew I needed to do to complete the skill it went much better.

I am defiantly trying to rush for sure.. I know it isn't something that needs to be done quickly but still trying to rush it .

x2! I had to keep my eyes closed during all the mask drills because I wear contacts, not sure whether that makes it easier or harder? But take your time and a few deep breaths before flooding or removing the mask and it will really help!

Another thing about clearing - I had a tendency to blow more air out of my mouth than my nose, which of course means it took forever to get the water out of the mask.....I learned to place my tounge against the roof of my mouth while concentrating on forcing the air out of my nose only and it really helps!

You will have it sooner than you know. I just did my 21st dive it was great except about half way through the dive I thought my mask strap broke, after holding my mask to my face for about ten minutes of diving ,I realized the strap had sliped off my head.

Look at it, like, a walk in a park, like, walking in
to a burning smoke filled building on SCBA, like.

Look at it, like, a walk in a park, like, walking in
to a burning smoke filled building on SCBA, like.

Yeah but we do not take our mask off in a smoke filled building.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yeah but we do not take our mask off in a smoke filled building either.

Sent from my KEYBOARD using Fingers

You probably won't take your mask off outside of training, either. Stuff happens, and you're training to deal with it just as I would guess you train(ed) for failures with your fire gear. I've had a mask kicked or knocked off my face a few times, and it will probably happen to you sometime. Every now and then if my mask is leaking and I can't get it to stop, I'll take it off and put it back on in an attempt to just reset it, which usually works.

It's not natural, I guess, but once you get past the mental thing it'll be a breeze.

If you have the option, go snorkeling in a pool often

do partial mask floods, with water not obstructing your vision,
practice it with your eyes open, then just close your eyes (during the partial mask flood)
then do full floodings, then eventually everything should come together!

This progression may or may not come quickly, or easily.
Remember that you can cough into your regulator if need be, and that coughing is the body's innate way of clearing the airway.

Once you have the skills down, the real fun can begin! (diving, that is)

Walter has a classic POST on mask skills.

To it, I would simply add that, if your instructor had you doing the skill on your knees, and had you tilt your head back, that's a recipe for water running down the bottom of your nasopharynx and into your throat, which can cause choking.

If your issue was not being able to see, try opening your eyes. Yes, the pool water will burn, but it's better than being disoriented. It took me a long time (and many, many inadvertent somersaults) to learn that I CANNOT be underwater with my eyes closed, unless I have a tactile reference to allow me to orient. Otherwise, I'm acutely uncomfortable, and eventually end up with vertigo. You CAN open your eyes in any water -- the pool is the worst. Salt water isn't NEARLY as corrosive.

Good luck with this. Any number of folks have posted here about the same issues and have gotten through them -- you can, too!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom