Any Average Depth tables available?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Steve:
LOL.

But what's wrong with Dude???

When applied to Dr. Michael Powell, who is a NASA scientist and researcher, the term "dude" is inappropriate and disrespectful. :nonono: He is the man we come to this forum to learn from! In fact, people pay money to be able to attend his seminars, with good reason.

Rob Davie :doctor:

Charlie99:
It was pretty clear that you at least attempted a DIRF, even before I looked at your public profile.

LOL Yeah I guess it just smelled like it eh?

So I guess just the rest of us are "Dudes" then?? :D

Kim:
WOW!!! I can't really remember but I'm sure mine wasn't as expensive as that. I wouldn't have bought it at that kind of price! It'll do the job that the original poster asked for though.

I do have a wheel.... somewhere. Maybe I ebay'd it since it was so pricey. :wink:

I guess if I did track the levels and times of my first dive I could put that on the wheel and then figure out my residual nitrogen for the second dive. I may have to try that if I can find that thing and remember how to use it. However most of my dives don't have those distinct levels such as swimming along a wall at 80' and then coming back at 40'. Most are sorta just cruising along the bottom and following the contour so I'm not sure how helpful the wheel would be in these situations.

So far I semi-wag it like Steve does and say that I was overall at 90'-ish and then look at the table from there. I just thought that since these gauges can now calculate average depth, maybe that could be used to get more bottom time on repetitive dives, but I don't know enough about the science behind on-gassing and although I've perused Wienke's books and articles, some... ok most of that stuff is just way over my head.

And yeah, I do have a computer but I like to manually check the NDL levels myself also.

I guess we have to thank guy's like Wienke and the good Doctor, for doing the tough stuff, so the rest of us just have to figure out the "easy math" to it all, something easily remembered and understood that helps us do what we need to do without all those degrees and actual thinking involved.

No disin' expressed or implied Doc. (Is "Doc") also a dis? :) LOL

I'll have my people call his people and we'll set up a news conference :)

You look pretty impressive yourself Rob. Are you Dude material? :D (For future reference).

Hello Readers :

“Yes, “Doc” is fine! :crafty:

Exercise

Please remember in amongst all of your measures for gas loading, that this is only a part of the problem. Nuclei generation (climbing boat ladders will full gear) is another part of the equation. While only recently considered, it is still there and should be avoided where possible :nonono:

Dr Deco :doctor:

Dr Deco:
Please remember in amongst all of your measures for gas loading, that this is only a part of the problem. Nuclei generation (climbing boat ladders will full gear) is another part of the equation. While only recently considered, it is still there and should be avoided where possible :nonono:

Can I assume this is where/why in technical training we're encouraged to spend some time on the surface, after the S/S, before climbing/getting out gear? (Where possible).

Scuba_Steve:
Can I assume this is where/why in technical training we're encouraged to spend some time on the surface, after the S/S, before climbing/getting out gear? (Where possible).

This is called a surface stop, and while it has been taught "anecdotally" for years, it is my understanding that Wienkie and the other scuba boffins are now calculating it into the RBGM in order to keep us even safer..

Hello all:

Safety Stops

The surface stop, safety stop, and slow ascents are all a part of control of nuclei during the dive and are dependent mostly on surface tension effects (at the surface of the bubbles). This concept is derived basically from:
- Models incorporating surface tension (such as equations originally developed by Epstein & Plesset, 1950),
- Doppler studies (such as those of Dr Andrew Pilmanis), and
- Ideas of preformed nuclei and their generation (EN Harvey, c. 1941).​
This has been coupled lately to research demonstrating the lifetime of decompression nuclei (work of Powell at NASA) and incorporated into dual phase models (such as VPM and RGBM).

Nuclei Growth

The considerable increase in decompression bubble formation with activity and also DCS is a direct consequence of my NASA research this was also demonstrated by some studies during the Second World War with high altitude bombing crews and their selection (qualifying) tests.

Basically the surface tension concepts (not Haldane off gassing) are what determine the ascent rates and surface activity. The amount of gas lost during surface stops is little and would not make up for the reduction in nuclei size that the surface time affords.

Thus renucleating yourself by climbing aboard with great stress and strain is moving in the wrong direction as far as safe diving is concerned. :nonono:

Dr Deco :doctor:

Dr Deco:
.......renucleating......

Now you're just making up words :)

And I've seen this

:no:

more times today than ever!

It is true. "Renucleate" made up, I did (as Yoda would say). But you could probably find it in other places from others.

The "no no" gif is one of my favorites. My wife also tells me that I repeat myself.

Dr D. :06:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom