Any benefit to Master Scuba Diver certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I now have in excess of 650 dives and am reasonably competant. Can you say the same? WTF?

Good diving, Craig

Wow I'm sorry I got your panties in a bunch, I'll make an exception You are a "Master Diver". More to the point,the 1000 dive number was just off the top of my head. I think most reasonable people can agree that going by minimum standards the requirement for "Master Diver" is rather low for that kind of a title. No I don't have 650 dives although I wish I had the time and money to rack up that kind of a dive count in the five years I've been diving. But yes I do feel I'm a reasonably competent diver. But words on a computer screen mean nothing, what really counts is in the water. Maybe we will have a chance to dive together some day, but until then words will have to do.

BTW the O2 Provider cert is a DAN class/cert

PADI does have an oxygen provider course.
I can offer some of the DAN courses as a distinctive specialty.

Training is always worth while. I'm an SSI MD and don't regret it. I had roughly 400 dives when I finished MD.

The SSI master diver card lists the specialties on the card which I like.

While the rightful purpose (or lack thereof) of the Master Diver cert. in the PADI system continues to be a hot point of controversy, I think the following points have some merit.

It is:

1.) An offering that encourages divers in the early stages of their hobby to keep getting more training than they otherwise might (such as Rescue Diver, which is a good course but some might steer clear of thinking it's just for people who want to be amateur scuba lifeguards), and therefore likely makes some people better divers earlier than they otherwise would've become.

2.) It does encourage people to spend more money on PADI offerings, including the card. PADI is a business. They seek to make money, in addition to whatever other goals they have.

It is not:

1.) The pinnacle in non-professional diver training.

2.) Under the PADI, a separate course with additional knowledge & skill development.

3.) Proof that a diver is an excellent overall diver.

4.) A title created to honor some rare few 'world class master of the craft' divers by being so exclusive as to be irrelevant to the large majority of hobbyist divers.

We've had some discussions about what a true 'master diver' is. Is it a cave diver who can wedge through tight spaces with amazing buoyancy and without stirring up silt? Is it a world record deep diver with amazing resistance to narcosis? A technical diver who can execute amazingly complex dives with a wide array of equipment?

In the PADI system, it means you completed AOW, Rescue Diver & 5 PADI specialties and at least 50 logged dives, then paid $40 or $50 or whatever for the card, which lists your specialties on the one card.

If I ever get all that done, I'll probably get the card. But as you can see, views vary widely.

Richard.

PADI does have an oxygen provider course.
I can offer some of the DAN courses as a distinctive specialty.
your right , I just looked at my card and it's PADI - Oxygen First Aid
I distinctly remember my instructor saying something about a DAN course :shrug:

Oh, well. One of my favourite topics. OK:
1. PADI 5 specialties. Should be required that all 5 help you either safety-wise or diver proficiency-wise.
Project Aware, et all, shouldn't count.
2. PADI vs. NAUI: From what I hear, more overall diving with PADI because it's 5 specialties. BUT you can get 5 specialties taking courses not even requiring dives. NAUI: fewer total dives, but it is a "real" course. So, you learn all the stuff a PADI DM used to learn in the old DM course--usefull information like the physics involved in raising an expensive outboard motor from 100'. I'll probably do that next week...
And (with NAUI), you have to do a tough swim test, like 3 miles underwater on one breath--that'll help your diving.
3. Oh well, it's all been said before.

I like my MD card simply because it lists most of my certs on just one card. I don't consider it actually makes me a "Master" diver. Far from it.
But neither do I think an AOW card makes one an "Advanced" diver.

So why did I do it? Well to be honest mostly because many of the sites I want to dive demand certain specialties.

Nitrox - to get fills
Navigation - because when I started diving i realised that without a guide, I actually had no idea where I was underwater
Stress & Rescue - because I wanted to be a safer diver. The only specialty I felt like I actually learnt something

Deep - because around where I dive, the boat won't take you to sites unless you have the card
Wreck - because around where I dive, the boat won't take you to sites unless you have the card
Night - because around where I dive, the boat won't take you on a night dive unless you have the card

Done it(PADI) and felt good for a while until I tried tec dive.
The most interesting and useful one was multi-level in which I learnt how to use The Wheel. But I am NOT sure if I can remember how to use it nowadays since I took up computer diving.
The other were search and recovery, nevigation, nitrox and drift.
Would I do it again? Probably NOT five of them.

Serious question... and which 5 would those be? My list is:

1) Nitrox
2) ???
3) ???
4) ???
5) ???

I look at their list of courses and I've been doing those types of dives for years. Why would I pay to take a class for them?

Add "Rescue Diver".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom