Any benefit to Master Scuba Diver certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you either have the card or pass a written test-got it. Thanks.

---------- Post Merged at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:14 PM ----------

Last edited:
Key point :) : if they're not instructors yet, take the course, we will customize it to leadership. They won't even know what course they're taking half the time - it's just leadership molding. They're not paying for a card. They're paying for training.

Wow I'm sorry I got your panties in a bunch, I'll make an exception You are a "Master Diver". More to the point,the 1000 dive number was just off the top of my head. I think most reasonable people can agree that going by minimum standards the requirement for "Master Diver" is rather low for that kind of a title. No I don't have 650 dives although I wish I had the time and money to rack up that kind of a dive count in the five years I've been diving. But yes I do feel I'm a reasonably competent diver. But words on a computer screen mean nothing, what really counts is in the water. Maybe we will have a chance to dive together some day, but until then words will have to do.

Hey A-A

Grandiose delusions believing I replied to your post, I was responding to the OP. I'm in Boynton Beach/Jupiter once a month, I would welcome the opportunity to dive with you someday. Let me know when you might be visiting and I'll make the effort to meet you. The diving is first rate, I'm sure you would enjoy it.

Good diving, Craig

Thank you all for your input. Yes - I am PADI certified and was considering the PADI course. However, I'm not interested in taking a course just for the benefit of carrying another CCard. It sounds like the better choice if I want to enhance my skills is to look towards a cave diving or more technical course and I think that's the way to go. Appreciate all of your input.

if I want to enhance my skills is to look towards a cave diving or more technical course and I think that's the way to go. Appreciate all of your input.

Then go dive more and with a whole lot of different people so that you can get some real life experience. Then take a GUE Fundamentals class or UDT/TDI's equivalence. After that, start taking the tech diving courses. Don't waste your time with silly ass specialty dives like boat dives, night dives, PADI wreck dive (what a joke), etc.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the benefits of a Master Scuba Diver certification. I had contemplated pursuing a Dive Master certification but my current work schedule makes it unlikely that I can find the time to get that done any time soon. I'm always looking to upgrade my skills, but it wasn't clear to me that the Master Scuba Course justified the cost. If anyone has taken (or teaches) the course, I'd be really interested in your thoughts. Thanks.

I think others have said it well. It's not a course, but just kind of a milestone.

through a mainstream PADI card mill, it appears the answer is a popular "no", but through others, maybe..... It all boils down to what your diving education has been to date. I honestly found it to be more of a "refresher" due to some very thorough programs that were my OW & AOW (as well as a number of years of diving prior to enrolling in the program), coupled with my normal desire to research/read up on things. You need to interview your instructor to get a feeling of what is going to be the subject matter and the level of detail covered. Only then can you determine if it is "worth while". I will say that the program (not PADI) did keep me diving on a regular schedule, and got me the opportunity to meet some more folks who have become dive buddies, so that is benefit too.

Personally, I think the MSD rating is a joke. I've been diving for 50 years now and I hardly consider myself a "master" as I flail away looking for critters to film!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom