Any Canadians who have retired/immigrated to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BettyfromToronto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For the past 5 years the plan has been to retire in Hong Kong where hubby is from. We just returned Saturday from a week in Jamaica where we were looking at possibly retiring there because housing is so cheap. The thought only lasted a few days because after some basic research we found out that we cannot take our dog so we will not go without her.

We are returning to Cozumel in November (and again for a week in January) and wondered about retiring there instead. Housing seems reasonable from the few searches I have done on the Internet and of course the diving is SO MUCH BETTER than in Jamaica. Also is seems like we can bring our dog so now we are wondering if Cozumel might be a good fit.

Is there any SB'ers out there who are Canadian and have immigrated/retired in Cozumel? Would love to hear your thoughts. I thought I read somewhere that foreigners can't own property in Mexico. Is that true? Is that real property with a house or does it include condos as well?

Is there a website with this information? I found one but it is for Americans moving to Mexico so it is not valid for us.

I appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Thanks in advance
Betty

Betty, you lucky dog (and your hubby and dog too) :)
Check out CozumelmyCozumel Forums for a wealth of info on moving to Cozumel as well as connecting with others who have done it. There is a subforum there called "I want to move to Cozumel" as well as "Local Talk". Ask your question there too and you will get plenty of response.

Cozumel My Cozumel Discussion Forums

I know Henny Watts from ReMax Real Estate in Cozumel is from Canada. I stayed at her rental Summerplace & Summer Breezes years ago.

Her page: RE/MAX Cozumel Real Estate - property listings in Cozumel, Mexico - vacation homes, condos, beach front, land and commercial.

Stay at the Blue Angel and talk to the owner and dive shop folks. All of them are Canadians. According to Matt the dive shop manager, they are taking over Cozumel, then Mexico and then the world, apologizing and being polite while doing so.

Hi Betty, This link might have some info for you, regarding property ownership...

Foreign Ownership of Property in Mexico

I would also check around regarding realtors. There are a lot of them here, that's for sure! Dan at Casas Cozumel is a straight up, tell it like it is guy. He's from Minnesota so on some level is practically canadian. :) Casas Cozumel Realty

Good luck! and if while you're here you'd like to stop by Blue Angel for a happy hour beverage, I can rustle up some Canadians for you to talk to, I'm sure. f

kari

Mike and Margaret Gerus, who own Papa Hogs Dive Emporium, are Canadian and have lived on Cozumel for over 20 years. From what they have told us, it is very very complicated. Do your research before you make such a commitment.

Not complicated at all really for retirees! You can choose to have an FM3 or not - in order to get it, you just have to basically prove that you have your own means of income, and it is minimal, something like $1000pp per month.

You can live here without an FM3 if you want to as well, you jst have to leave the country every 6 months and you don't get certain conveniences like opening a bank account here, phone line in your name, etc. Definitely easier WITH the FM3 visa, but not hard at all to get as a retiree!

Also, I would recommend Cozumel 4 You on facebook as the best forum for information and to get questions answered without bias. It is a much busier site with a much larger audience and most all island residents post there. Cozumel My Cozumel is a very low traffic site with a small contributing pool of ex-pats there that will all give you the same answers!

Good luck! I do HIGHLY encourage ANYONE considering moving here full time to come for an extended stay first and live like a local for awhile, dealing with the daily life and getting things done. Many people find that they cannot handle the slow pace and lack of urgency on most things.

Thanks everyone. Great info and great links. I can't believe the low cost of housing. I'd love a condo with ocean view (and no yard work) but I don't think hubby likes the idea of paying a HOA fee every month. I did look at some single dwelling homes and still very nice for less than $250K. Some even with pools

Kari: I'd love to meet up with fellow Canadians at Blue Angel for a drink. Will have to check with hubby and pick a day mid-week when we don't plan on diving. Maybe Tuesday or Wednesday. (I think we can walk from SCC to BA, right?)

Do you think any real estate agents would be willing to show us around when we are not ready to buy now...just to get an idea and make a future contact

I think I like what Christi said I do HIGHLY encourage ANYONE considering moving here full time to come for an extended stay first and live like a local for awhile,

Maybe rent first for 6 months and then decide.

Thanks
Betty

Yes Cozumel4U on FB is a great forum too. I mentioned Henny because she is a Canadian I know that has immigrated down there, not as a plug for her real estate biz. Excellent advice about renting first too. Find your neighborhood, check out utility rates, can you be there in all seasons, what are you going to do everyday etc... There are a few threads on CmyC now by people who have bought houses and are moving down... trials with movers, home repair, TV/internet service, utility bills, vehicles and insurance... I find it fascinating and I'm not even moving there! (yet).

A Canadian friend of mine who was considering buying did go around with a Real Estate agent and looked extensively. That is the job of an agent. Any agent worth their salt will gladly take you around, hoping to forge a relationship so when you do decide they will be the one you want to work with. Good way to see what's out there as well as meet an agent you like. They also handle long-term rentals.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Kari: I'd love to meet up with fellow Canadians at Blue Angel for a drink. Will have to check with hubby and pick a day mid-week when we don't plan on diving. Maybe Tuesday or Wednesday. (I think we can walk from SCC to BA, right?)
Betty
It's an easy walk from SCC to the BA. They have a nice happy hour from I believe 2-6:30 and a 2 for 1 on the drinks and tapas.
I just love their Margaritas, plus of course Victoria la cerveza.:coke:

Kari your first link says

[SIZE=+1]Foreign Ownership of Property in Mexico[/SIZE]
The Mexican Constitution regulates the ownership of land and declares that ...within a zone of 100 kilometers from the border or 50 kilometers from the coast, a foreigner cannot acquire the direct ownership of the land. These areas are known asRestricted or Prohibited Zones. However, the latest Mexican Foreign Investment Law, which was ratified on December 28, 1993, allows a foreigner or foreign corporation to obtain the rights of ownership through a fiduciary trust known as Fidelicomiso, the equivalent of a US beneficiary trust.

Yet I read that the North American Tree Trade in 1994 said now foreigners can own property but I guess a condo is not land. :) and a house in town is not waterfront so we should be okay

I will keep researching. We have 5 more trips planned before we move in the summer of 2014.

Betty

Back
Top Bottom