any computer hardware savvy people in the Ohana?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it's a laptop computer drive, then it's a 2.5" disk drive. (99% of the time)

Sure you can slave it into another machine, but why not go one step easier.

Go back to CompUSA or other and buy a "External USB Drive kit for a 2.5" drive". It will cost you $15 to $25 bucks.

It should have complete instructions on how to mount the drive. Basically you plug in the cable (power and data are on one cable on 2.5" drives), mount it to the chassis (typically with screws, and put any lid/cover on it.

You then take the USB case with drive in it and plug it into any USB port on any other computer. Windows XP should automatically reconize it as an extra drive.

You can then 'drag and drop' any files you need to another computer, burn them to CD, etc.

This is the easiest and most portable way to get your data off that drive.

You now have your data. you can then decide if you want to return the laptop for service, which will most likely require replacing the motherboard. (yes typically those power connectors are mounted on the motherboard via solder).

How about just fixing the dang thing? I do it on my wifes laptop every couple months when she breaks it(what can I say, she just isn't very gentle with it...)

It would cost $125-200 to get fixed but DIY for all of $25.

google fix laptop power jack and you will find how to and where to get the part. Involves taking the laptop apart and soldering a new componet, not that hard REALLY! Lots of screws involved...

hmmmm.....that sounds good too....I really miss having 2 computers :(

ok...I took the computer over to a computer place over in Kalihi. They looked at it and tested it. In the mean time we went g-shopping. When we returned they said that the the pin wiggled and said if I put the plug in it just the right way it might work....They could fix that, but there is no guarantee that that's all that's wrong with the computer, because the battery was dead too and the plug was also not working....These three things together would run me about 350 or so....and would still be iffie.

I decided to take the HD out and the rest can RIP.

Sounds like the power connecter on the power supply is cracked or broken lose. I've replaced several of those due to people setting the lapop down on the power cord or moving it and hitting the back of the laptop against the wall or other objects.

I didn't notice the model number if it was giving, so if you can pm that detail, I can get a price for you for that part. I'm quite sure that is the problem as well.

If you need any assistance, PM me and I'll help as much as I can.

Michael

Thank you fo the offer Michael. The computer was the victum of a power surge (our other computer and our phone died too). Since I can't do anything myself I pretty much have the feeling that the repair would be more than the cost of the computer.

Back
Top Bottom