Any fossilers wanna show off some photos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Lee, I am all for a Peace river trip. I no longer have the spouse to answer to. The only thing is I have full custody of my son and I am not complaining one bit, lol I love him to pieces and he realizes dad needs his alone time too, lol so I am up for diving.

Tony, if we end up ever diving together, I'll let you try my dive helmet I made. I too was skeptical on them but after some fooling around, I come to appreciate having two dive lights mounted on my head that I can angle to shine right where I look. This next year I plan on adding a GoPro Hero3 camera to the helmet.

Lee, I did zero diving this year, as you know my former wife of 16 years went through (and still is in) a mid life crisis and flipped on us. It is really sad because in the 18 years we have been together, we didn't have a single fight. She was my soul mate and now she is gone. It devasted me and our son and quite frankly with the type of diving we do, you know that you need to be 100% mental or fatalities can happen. Especially in near zero viz with a current and downed trees. I figured the fossils have been there for millions of years that one more year will not matter lol. I am good to go now and can not wait to get back into the water.

Getting time off has been a little hard. I am now on advanced aircraft programs (think skunk works, prototype stuff) and working a lot of hours. So goes the life of an Aerospace engineer, lol but hey, it has kept my mind occupied, lol. I should be able to start taking some time off this spring. I am not going to dive in the rivers this winter like Phill and I did last year. We were jsut too kinds of crazy to do that in wetsuits, lol picture us boiling river water in the boat and pouring it over us in between dives.

I have been talking to Phill to set up some dives this coming year and I would LOVE to get on the dreadge piles off shore from Charleston, I have the location (hint hint, lol).

don't have time right this minute to digest and properly respond to your posting Mike. I do want to welcome you to the "NO GOOD WORTHLESS BASTARDS" fraternity. Its a large group. will look forward to posting a proper response tonight. need to go allow myself to be employed right now. good to see your posting. later

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

okay i am on break at work now. not having a spouse to answer to is a glorious thing for me personally. enough said on that. dont care to talk about downed trees , vines, rope, string, fishing line, etc. Every now and again it reminds me how it hates me and seems to have a mind of its own.

been in design and prototyping all my life and i know some of the mentalities that roam those halls.

I have done the boiling water thing, not crazy about that either.

Tom dove the dredge piles with his 30' Island Hopper waiting overhead. He shook his head in disgust as if to say, not worth the time or money. Although his wife told me she would put the boat on it if we put divers on her boat. I am a green light on this one.

If you want to come to Charleston on a sunny day I "know someone" that can put us on a fossil hole. Its a creek and she is finding 1.5" beauties. Regarding the E river, I also found when the water is low you can dig in the gravel beds next to the ramps. Found a hand full of baby teeth and a couple of hemi's doing this a few months back

okay back to being employed

will post later

ps: find a place to dig and i will scurry down
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The way I see a Peace River trip is, I swing by and pick up Vinson, Eberlein, and yourself on a Friday, we hit the road, and throw down in a hotel that night. We spend Saturday and Sunday on the river and then haul ass back on Monday. We can use Debra or Fred or both as river guides. We can wait for warmer weather to search the 20' deep beds, offshore, way south of Venice. I am good to go starting in January. I need a 1 hour warning. 2 hour warning if we are gonna scuba

Can probably get Steve and Brian, out of Atlanta, and Vinson to go with us to the dredge piles. That makes five. I am guessing Tom will commit the boat with six paying customers. Its a short ride. (equals not much fuel)

--------------------

Mike... were you on the boat the day Phil picked this up?

148104_4852606237726_1257201264_n.jpg

check this out. i think you might like it. it is not a replica. it is not a relic. it is the real deal. The tie wrap is animal tendon. I think you know the very skilled Cherokee that made this. It has a special place in my collection

Last edited:
When you guys are ready to hit my neck of the woods let me know. No one knows the river here Like I do. Peace river is perfect right now for diving and sifting. I'm not here much but I can always be found if you need me. Lee knows how to get a hold of me. If any ID's are needed you can send me a text picture to get it the fastest. Paleo hugs my friends. ~~~Fossilbabe~~~

Lee, a damn nice find pertaining to the arrowhead. I'll post some pictures in a few minutes of our last dive as well as etc...

Not my best hunting but, I really am enjoying the largest bone piece I have ever found.

Attachments

• FACE BOOK 007.jpg
    FACE BOOK 007.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 62
  • FACE BOOK 001.jpg
    FACE BOOK 001.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 60
  • FACE BOOK 002.jpg
    FACE BOOK 002.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 70
  • FACE BOOK 003.jpg
    FACE BOOK 003.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 52
  • FACE BOOK 004.jpg
    FACE BOOK 004.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 52
  • FACE BOOK 006.jpg
    FACE BOOK 006.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 53
ARGH!!!!!! I cannot access pictures or video's here at work, lol Guess they really want me to build aircraft huh? lol

I will check it after work today Lee. I need to go and get a new desktop computer since the ex come here one day while i was at work and about cleared the house out. LOL Took my iMac, my gaming laptop, older laptop, and a lot of my personal belongings. I NEED my damn winter riding jacket for all these Toys for Tots bike rides.

Tony, that is a huge piece of bone, wait till you find a whale vert the size of a paint can, lol I have one the size of half a paint can and it was covered with barnacles. If you ever need to clean barnacles off, I was able to do it with a 5 gal. bucket and a 1:1 mix ratio of Distilled water and Apple vinegar. It took two weeks of soaking and cleaning and then I brought it in house to air dry. I also have a vert that I think is from a mammoth or mastodon, I will try and post up some pics later.

Lee, you might appreciate this; I met a woman and have gone on a couple of dates with her but here is the kicker, she is the tallest woman I have ever dated she is just under my height and she is 5'11" with heels she is taller! LOL

Thanks Mike for the reply. Sorry that you are going thru hell with the ex but glad that you are dating. Sorry if I have asked before but after reading....Toys for Tots...are a you a Marine? Regardless Toys For Tots is a great program! Take care as we will do likewise.

i am at lunch and I have a minute. i will be back online tonight. Tony... the dagger has a story and I will post the story tonight. tks for posting the photos Tony. i had one of those bone sheets. it is amazing how some items are so similar. which dive boat did you use?

we are a secured op also Mike. i have a holiday on Jan 21. can be worked into a florida fossil hunt with Friday and Monday used for travel. OR if you find a hole to dig ... MIKE, i will come down in my newly purchased 4x4 and my dig tools. will have to comment on romance tonight.

lunch is ending.... need to go back to being employed

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike when I divorced after 20yrs, i jumped in the dating pool with both feet. Had no idea how significantly different one woman can be from the next one but i soon found out. Had many romances. Spent much time going through the grieving period after each romance came to an end. What ever makes you happy, i say go for it. Plenty of available women out there. I signed onto a dating site the other day but quickly turned it off. Got flooded with emails. Felt like I was facing a Tsunami. enough about that

here is how my 2012 fossiling season started

we had a site selected:

100_9757.jpg

I showed up at the boat launch ramp and a BUNCH of Fossil Heads (that I knew) were there. They were excited and rabid about something. And then I saw it and held it in my hand and took a photo of it:

100_9859.jpg

To be continued...

---------- Post added November 28th, 2012 at 09:54 PM ----------

I arrived April 1st 2012, to find I was in the company of some of the best fossilers around these parts. I was absolutely thrilled and excited ....

there was AeroMike and aeronautical engineer out of Savannah Ga. A true fossil head thru and thru.

AeroMike.jpg

then there was Brian, a medical professional out of Atlanta, an aggressive hunter. Hard wired shark tooth brain. Do not underestimate this guy. This guy is amazing.

Brian.jpg

then there was Vinson, one of the greats out of Savannah. Fearless beyond measure. Champion of champions. Hard core hunter.

Vincent.jpg

last but in no way least, Captain Phil, career boat builder and one of the best local river guides alive today, would rather hunt fossils than eat. Non stoppable. Hard to the core

Phil.jpg

So, I found myself in the company of the best. What a glorious day that was. Reminded me of playing on a winning ball team

100_9864.jpg

to be continued............

---------- Post added November 29th, 2012 at 08:05 AM ----------

thanks Fossilbabe. Tell me about the ID's please so I can purchase them. Your video brought back good memories. Happy Holidays to you!

Last edited:
Tony, no on the Marines, 8 years in the Army, Desert Storm vet. I ride Harleys a lot and we do Toys for Tots bike rides.

Lee, I can appreciate the dating site comment as I too went on one and was over whelmed with the amount of responses. I guess I should have limited some of the info I put on there, lol telling the world I have a Masters degree in Aerospace and that I am a senior Aerospace engineer making lots of $$$ probably did it, lol. Well that and I have my own house, and toys. I too deactivated my acct as I could not keep up with all the responses but I will say this......it did make me feel good to know that there was a lot of women that seemed to think I was worth the time to look into.

As far as the tall woman, we are more like friends going out then anything but that is perfectly fine with me. I do not know if I could ever let another woman get this close to my heart again.....I tried marraige and it didn't work out for me. I need to meet a woman that enjoys diving and traveling.

Back to diving~!!!! LOL
Had a crisis last night with the boy, he lost his brand new cell phone (thank God he found it on the bus this morning going to school) but I am going to try and post up some pics today or tomorrow.
Lee, we need to get a hold of Vinson and see if he knows any digging spots.

It truly would be great to hook up with you guys. I dig, dive and dive and dig. In just one day, ArticMike and i spent 5 hours unwater. What a blast!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom