Any Kona Aggressor (Recent) Comments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And if you do choose to go to Kona, definitely choose to go on the Aggressor. The diving in Kona is not really far from shore, in fact some places are arguably "shore diveable" albeit some very rocky shores, but the distance the boat goes south of Kona is well out of the reach of day boats. AuAu Crater (which was my favorite spot of the trip) would be 3-4 hours from Kona on a day boat, plus there's always the possibility of diving South Point - the southernmost point in the U.S. We didn't dive there but it's just another example of how far removed you are from the other dive operators. You'll really only see them on the Manta Night Dive and also on your last day of diving where you do two dives in the morning somewhere near town - otherwise you're quite a ways down south. So if you do go to Kona, don't think that you're sacrificing an "awesomer" trip, you're just going to a place that's much different than other places. But as stated earlier, I do recommend a summer trip so that the water is not quite as cold.

Ask this question again in a year after I've been to PNG and Palau, I venture to say I might be singing a different tune :)

Thanks again, for all of the comments, ideas, and photos/links (great!).
I've decided to focus on the "farther" option. Probably Fiji, the Phil's, or Palau. I just realized that I have enough miles to make it to at least the first 2 of those.

Here's a point of view that's unexpected:

We love the Aggressors. We've dove most of them and love the service, convenience, and quality. I have never balked at spending a little more for quality, and never regretted it.

We just returned from a week on the Palau Aggressor. The boat was pristine - the best condition of any Aggressor yet - and the crew was great. We loved the diving, too, the wildlife was amazing.

After that week, we stopped at Yap, at the Manta Ray Bay Hotel for a week. And...

At the end of that week, wished we had spent both weeks in Yap!

Like I said, the unexpected answer.

All the best, James

PS - we were on the Kona Aggressor several years ago. We had some issues (all with staff, and all replaced now, and the boat gets good marks in this area now). The boat was in moderately good condition, a bit worn; the diving was good; we froze in the 77 degree water; it was an easy hop from the mainland.

If you want to see some photos from Kona, get the contact e-mail for the boat off the web. Send it attention Polar Bear, ask if he would send you a few photos of some of the things you might expect to see on an average trip. He also did the photos for the screen saver that you can down load from the web site. Aloha

Here's a point of view that's unexpected:

We love the Aggressors. We've dove most of them and love the service, convenience, and quality. I have never balked at spending a little more for quality, and never regretted it.

We just returned from a week on the Palau Aggressor. The boat was pristine - the best condition of any Aggressor yet - and the crew was great. We loved the diving, too, the wildlife was amazing.

After that week, we stopped at Yap, at the Manta Ray Bay Hotel for a week. And...

At the end of that week, wished we had spent both weeks in Yap!

Like I said, the unexpected answer.

All the best, James

PS - we were on the Kona Aggressor several years ago. We had some issues (all with staff, and all replaced now, and the boat gets good marks in this area now). The boat was in moderately good condition, a bit worn; the diving was good; we froze in the 77 degree water; it was an easy hop from the mainland.

Wow, that is very unexpected1 Most people we have talked to have said they wish they had skipped the Yap stop. They said after Palau it was very unimpressive. So what did you like about Yap? I want specifics... :D I have often said I want to go there for a week, especially because it interests me culturally.

oops, sorry, highjacked thread... :eek:fftopic:

robin:D

Wow, that is very unexpected1 Most people we have talked to have said they wish they had skipped the Yap stop. They said after Palau it was very unimpressive. So what did you like about Yap? I want specifics... :D I have often said I want to go there for a week, especially because it interests me culturally.
My second warm-water trip ever was to Yap for a week as my dive shop had an excellent deal: $2,100 for a week at the Manta Ray Bay Hotel, 5 2-tank dives, and round-trip air (including overnight hotels in Guam in each direction). We went out diving with Bill & Patricia every day, did a few newly discovered sites, and overall had an excellent time. On the other hand, I too have heard from some who did stopovers that it's not worth it. I believe that the short-timers are primarily exposed to the manta dives, which are in the channels with low visibility and scant fish life. If the mantas don't show in droves, the divers are left disappointed. On the other hand, with a week or longer stay, you have much more opportunity to dive the very pristine reefs with fantastic viz.

Many of the flights to or from Palau stop in Yap on the way. On my last trip they made everyone get off the plane for a security check, so doing a stay in Yap is as easy as just not getting back on the plane :D

We did Palau/Yap and I definitely wouldn't have wanted to miss the Yap stop. The mantas are neat of course, but I think there is too much focus on that. We did some wall dives that were great, and it didn't hurt that we were sometimes surrounded by pods of dolphins on the boat rides. It might have helped we were with a group and could easily arrange for a boat to go do other dives instead of manta dives. I would happily do more of that.

The Yap airport left much to be desired...

My second warm-water trip ever was to Yap for a week as my dive shop had an excellent deal: $2,100 for a week at the Manta Ray Bay Hotel, 5 2-tank dives, and round-trip air (including overnight hotels in Guam in each direction). We went out diving with Bill & Patricia every day, did a few newly discovered sites, and overall had an excellent time. On the other hand, I too have heard from some who did stopovers that it's not worth it. I believe that the short-timers are primarily exposed to the manta dives, which are in the channels with low visibility and scant fish life. If the mantas don't show in droves, the divers are left disappointed. On the other hand, with a week or longer stay, you have much more opportunity to dive the very pristine reefs with fantastic viz.

Many of the flights to or from Palau stop in Yap on the way. On my last trip they made everyone get off the plane for a security check, so doing a stay in Yap is as easy as just not getting back on the plane :D

That was a great price! Can you give me the itineary layout of the trip?:D

It's been a couple of years since I was on the Kona Aggressor, but I thought it was fantastic and will do it again. Here's some photos:

Picasa Web Albums - John - Kona Hawaii -...

Great boat, fantastic crew. The Kona Aggressor is kind of known for it's food and when we did it the meals were spectacular. Loved the diving; lots of different things to see -- turtles, Hammerhead (twice), Mantas (day and night), frogfish, nudibranches.

John love the shot of the shrimp. I have a week booked 14 to 21 August. Spent five years diving Oahu, see the underwater topography hasn't change.. still boring but great for Macro. My bucket list for this trip - HD video of the manta night dive and a Spanish Dancer. Photos - Tinkers Butterfly, Banded angel and Harlequin Shrimp

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom