Any Ladies using HP80's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got 4! LOVE 'em. perfect for us vertically challenged women. And I love how negative they are, even when empty. I can take that weight off my belt.
Yes, BHB is an awesome dive. Keep us posted when you're gonna be down.. maybe we can meet up..

I have 4 HP 100s and I dive them with a backplate. I'm a little taller, 5'8" so the fit isn't a problem but I absolutely love them.

ALL my tanks are HP 80s: one is air, the other two dedicated Nitrox. When I'm not able to use my own tanks & have to revert to "standard" AL80s I am not nearly as happy a diver as I am with those steel HP 80s!

And yes, I am "vertically challenged" at 5' 4".
:D

I got to dive with my new HP 80 tanks today and you were all abslolutely right. I love them! I think they are my best purchase so in all my diving gear. Getting weight adjusted took a few tries but I think I've got it now. Thanks!

Last edited:
Good to hear and you like the tanks.

I've used both. No trim issues with either. They weigh about the same, I think; if there is a difference, I don't notice it in schlepping them around. I like the extra gas in the 100s.

If you're diving a backplate, you have a real risk of pinch flats with the really short tanks.

TS- i started reading scubaboard when i stated diving- and i remebered u being a serous bad-ass, and having gone to egypt and and abeing able to dive doubles. I thought of you (nice to have a stalker from afar right?) when my old LDS told me i may as well het HP steel 100s.

BUULLLL__

i had to call off the dive. literally. and return the tank. like a wuss. i couldn't stand. at all. immediately returned it for a HP Steel 80. ( NE shore diving.) so when i moved to FL, i still look cool.

so in oct. i have my 1st cavern class (yes- i'be been stalking u that long. i'm screwd. still can't get a 100. on my back. 1. 100.

but the boat divers think i'm a bad-ass for that HP 80 lol :dork: they must have skipped that bit about the weight dif. physics. it's rough. the trim - YMMV- is much nicer in steel- and no weights!. it's lovely. and it freaks people out.

----

i was literally thinking about you in the red sea the other day... wishing it were me... and i don't even know you! lol

-c

---------- Post added August 12th, 2013 at 03:30 PM ----------

oh yah- also those super short tanks. let's invet a short boot people. duh. wtf.

Hi, I'm jumping in on this thread a couple of months late I think but I'm trying to figure out tanks and my biggest question is: what is (are) the difference(s) between HP and LP tanks? I just moved to ST. Petersburg from NYC, and I'd never even heard of LP tanks until I got down here. I was diving steel 100's doubles up there.
What are the pro's /con's to either?

Thanks,

LOVE my hp80!!

I posted a question about using shorter tanks in equipment forum but would like some input from other vertically challenged women.

Anyone using HP80's or possible 100's as a single tank, back mount option? Any trim issues?

Thanks,
Lisa
I use HP 80s when diving cold water. I'm 5'1" and they're the perfect size, even shorter than my AL 63's. Plus I got a great deal on them, used. I don't think they're the most popular tank so if you find some used ones they might be priced really nicely.

---------- Post added September 10th, 2013 at 08:23 PM ----------

Thanks Ayisha and TSamdM. I am sold on the HP's. The LDS has 2 "like new" HP 80's with new hydro and viz for 200 each that I am going to take a look at next week. I can always upgrade to 100's if a good deal comes up.
I think that's about what I paid for mine, maybe $175. I do have to be careful about pinch flats, though. I also have a short backplate.

My other half is 5foot even & we both have xs scuba worthington steel Hp 100's & she has zero issues with them.
In Coz while diving with Aldora she went with their steel 120's & we both really didnt notice any downside to the larger 120 vs our 100's.
Wish I would have went with the 120's for our personal tanks as you can never have too much air when youre an airhog...
Huge bonus is less lead needed!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom