Any Ladies using HP80's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought two HP80's about 10 yrs ago and I do love them too!

Hi, I'm jumping in on this thread a couple of months late I think but I'm trying to figure out tanks and my biggest question is: what is (are) the difference(s) between HP and LP tanks? I just moved to ST. Petersburg from NYC, and I'd never even heard of LP tanks until I got down here. I was diving steel 100's doubles up there.
What are the pro's /con's to either?

Thanks,

My simplified explanation for explaining hp vs lp is that when you have tanks that hold the same amount of air the air in the hp tank is more "smushed", so it takes up less space, and therefore the hp tank is smaller in size than an lp tank of the same volume. And hp80 is smaller in size than an lp 80. A lot of the attraction for lp tanks in your area is getting "cave fills"--filling a lp tank to a higher than rated pressure to have more air.

I am among the "vertically challenged" at 5'4". I have two hp 80's that I love for boat diving. My favorite tanks though are my mid pressure faber 72's. They're smaller than the 80's and more negative when empty, so I can carry a few pounds less in lead.

Hi, I'm jumping in on this thread a couple of months late I think but I'm trying to figure out tanks and my biggest question is: what is (are) the difference(s) between HP and LP tanks? I just moved to ST. Petersburg from NYC, and I'd never even heard of LP tanks until I got down here. I was diving steel 100's doubles up there.
What are the pro's /con's to either?

Thanks,

This is a nice chart to compare tanks: Scuba Cylinder Specifications from Tech Diving Limited - 928-855-9400

I dive doubled HP 100's and love them. Before you buy the tanks look up the buoyancy characteristics, it will show you weight empty and full and bouyancy empty and full - some tanks are very heavy and end up still negative when empty, some start slightly negative and end up very positive. It's nice to know what you're getting into, you can decide how much lead you want to mess around with.

lunahippo. The weight difference between HP80s and HP100s is five pounds. If that makes enough of a difference that you can't walk, I really think some kind of strength training would help a lot.

I love my HP100s. Tons of gas, and VERY easy to carry. I have HP80s, and they are cute and a little lighter, but given the 30 pounds of ballast I have to carry in our cold water, the small difference in tank weight is really not significant. On the other hand, I prefer LP85s to HP100s as doubles, because there, the weight difference is noticeable.

I really love my HP80. I'm not a very big person and I find anything larger is either hitting me in the head or bumping me in the butt depending on how I fashion the tank to my BC. I'm also pretty conservative with my air. I use it for boat and shore dives.

My dive buddy/girlfriend is 5'5" and loves her HP80s for their easy portability, but she is struggling with foot-heavy trim issues and I think a slightly longer tank might help her out. She uses a jacket bc so the bulk of her ballast is near her hips, and she can't move the bottle far enough up her back to balance it out.

hmm I have the exact opposite problem. I use a backplate and Wing, if anything I can't set the tank low enough.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 4

hmm I have the exact opposite problem. I use a backplate and Wing, if anything I can't set the tank low enough.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 4

That's the same situation I'm finding myself in with hp100s on my weighted ss backplate. Thinking I need either a weight harness (to put weight lower) or longer cylinders.

Back to my buddy though: I'm going to have her try one of my 100s and see if the added length helps her straighten out.

My dive buddy/girlfriend is 5'5" and loves her HP80s for their easy portability, but she is struggling with foot-heavy trim issues and I think a slightly longer tank might help her out. She uses a jacket bc so the bulk of her ballast is near her hips, and she can't move the bottle far enough up her back to balance it out.

Leave her with the HP80; a "slightly longer tank" will do nothing about trim down at her feet.

What is wearing for exposure protection? Why do you feel she has "foot heavy trim issues".

Back
Top Bottom