Any one try one of these DPV's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's simple, you get what you pay for. I had a Tekna I bought for $500, it was a nice machine, batteries made it negative but I could deal with it. I sold it to a friend and he's still happy with it. Then I got my Mako, $900 - neutral.one sweet ride. I've had it about 3 years. I love it.

Chinese scooters are probably like chinese tools, if you use it 5 times and it doesn't break, it's a better deal than a rental. Anything after that is gravy.

I like it negative because I can park it on the shroud and swim off for an exploratory mission and it will still be where I left it. One thing about a scooter, that is if you want to keep it, when it breaks (not if but when) you must have some sort of float for it. I carry a second sausage float for my scooter. If it fails I can float it ---just something to think about. I would rather a scooter be negative than positive but that is a preference. You can make a neoprene "jacket" for the Tekna that will result in neutral bouyancy and provide additional protection, I have not gotten around to that yet however but I have seen them. N

Well I took the Stingray out Monday the 6th for sea trials. The little scooter that could did very well! I motored around positively buoyed, then neutrally buoyed. I took it to 20fsw a few times and stayed there as long as I could on a breath. That was about 15 min. of use. Mrs.AfterDark then took it out positive around the cove for 20 min.
I did a dive without it. I found a weight belt during the dive. I couldn’t float it in so I put it up on some rocks. I finished the dive by going through the split to the next cove and fining to the boat ramp. Needing to recover my find I took the scooter out to the point and recovered the weight belt I found early. That was another 15 min. and it was still going strong. Mrs.AfterDark motored around for another 30 min. I’m confident this scooter will do what I want it to do. I plan to use it as a commuter to go back and forth to spots just out of reach by swimming. I'll clip it off to my float, do my dive without it, then ride it back. I hope if I use it mostly on the surface I'll avoid the flooding problems I've heard about with these cheapo models.

I have a just overhauled DV3X ready to go 1000.00 +shipping 30 day warrenty new bat upgraded bulkhead ect if any one is looking.

If I had $1000.00 I'd buy a dry suit. Way out of my league for what I consider a toy no matter the cost or quality.

Back
Top Bottom