Any shop recommendations for open water certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawrx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just now joining the game and I'm looking to complete an open water diving course to get certified. Anyone have any recommendations on where to get certification around orange county area? I work in Irvine.

So far, only place I know to get certified is Sport Chalet and that was like $500 and I still had to take the $120 PADI elearning course. But it did involve a couple pool dives and a couple catalina dives (which I definitely want to do).

Any other places I should possibly look into before signing up with Sport Chalet?

Well I went through Sport Chalets two weekend course and it was pretty easy. There were two instructors per 4 student and the price was $125 plus $60 for the materials. Then you added on $45 for their rental, and $20 for your Padi Card.

1) Welcome to the 'board!!!
2) Before hiring just anyone to teach you, please check out these two post:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ng/287780-how-find-excellent-scuba-class.html .............and.................
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne.../166469-what-consider-new-student-diving.html
3) You may get some good leads here, but only you will know if they will work for you. And don't cut corners and do the pool and open water dives as fast as possible. Enjoy the learning process and then join in our fun here.
4) Check out Laguna Sea Sports plus many more.
5) Hope to see you in the water someday soon!!!

Last edited:
Where in SoCal are you so we can direct you to a good instructor.

John

I second Pacific Wilderness. The Orange store is pretty close to Irvine. Not only do they have good instructors they are by far the least expensive for OW training and it includes three boat dives at Catalina for no extra cost. Also, when you get your cert you get a year membership to their club.

Pacific Wilderness is where I was certified. The Orange store # (714) 997-5506. If you want to check the club out first the next meeting is July 14 @7:30pm at El Torito in Long Beach 6605 E. Pacific Coast Highway.

good luck to you
christy

I went through Sea Ventures in Fullerton.

Call and talk with Jim (714-871-2218). I originally went with the advice of meeting and talking with a few instructors from different shops and went with the one I liked the best. They are also pretty inexpensive.

Back
Top Bottom