Any split fins to recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luvspoodles:
That is interesting...I just posted a thread on the Masks, fins...etc board about those same fins hurting my feet. Go look and read what the people wrote me. I am going to have to keep them though because I can't afford other ones. I was also told that I may be kicking too hard, and that I should just relax my feet, especially when I start the dive trip and I haven't dove in a while. Maybe its just muscles that haven't been worked in a while?

I'll just go over and read your thread and see what can I pick up there. Thanks for the post.

Calvin.

realdiver7:
I used a well-known high quality namebrand split fin for a couple of months this summer. They worked fine and were fast, with less muscle strain while in water with no current (lake, quarry, etc.). However, when wreck diving in current and surge in the ocean, I could not keep up with the other divers in my group and fell behind. By the end of the dive I was completely exhausted, with plenty of leg and cardiovascular overexertion to spare.

Just went back to my old reliable non-split design fins with flexible ridges and stiff edges. Better all-around design in my opinion. Just my 2 cents worth. Your experiences may be different.

Why is it that most ppl say that split fins suck when it comes to against strong currents, when they are supposed to be more effiecient? Are split fins really lame against strong currents? I also felt overexerted when fighting a strong current during my last night dive.

Calvin.

p.s. Pls answer this post, cause it mean a lot to me.

I use Expert Zooms with a angle built-in. I have no problems whatsoever with a strong current. Matter of fact, my three friends are now buying same model as I am outdistancing them as well as lasting longer underwater due to not as much exertion.
I love those fins!!

Calvin,

I use splits and non-splits. I like the splits most. I've used them on dives where the "DM" led us against a current at the end of the dive, when in fact the dive should have been a drift dive. So, IMHO, the statement splits can't be used in currents is bunk.

Brian

Calvinator:
Why is it that most ppl say that split fins suck when it comes to against strong currents, when they are supposed to be more effiecient? Are split fins really lame against strong currents? I also felt overexerted when fighting a strong current during my last night dive.

Calvin.

I am 6'1" and weigh 225 and I have the black and blue set of Zoom Xperts. They are stiff as well as wide and they totally rock. I had to learn a slightly more efficient kicking style to take advantage of their efficiency...but when I did they made a big difference. You won''t see me switching anytime soon.

Calvinator:

Calvin.

I got the question about splits and current so many times, I wrote a whole page on it in our Ask Joe and Larry section. Check out Do Split Fins Work in a Current

I also had a problem at first with my Apollo split fins. It ended up the pocket was too skinny strap was over tight. I had to get the wider size and have the strap just to the point of snug, no more. They are great in the open ocean when there is a current. Still my vote for favorite fins are Scubapro Jets, for what it's worth.

That is an excellent article on the split fin argument. I agree 100%. I tried a few different types of splits before deciding that the stiffer Zooms were the ones for me. They fit, allow me to swim better, and I definately use less oxygen. Pretty helpful things, huh?

Back
Top Bottom