Any suggestions on REEF info to keep you up to date at home when you are not diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I wanted to know if anyone knew of CD rom's or books or the like, that is good for keeping yourself up to date with FIsh ID. I am a REEF member and I just want to be able to do a good job when I dive and get good survey results.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Yes the Paul Humann and Ned de Loach books and CD'S they are fantastic the Cd has interative games the book there are 3 in the main set Reef Fish, Reef Creatures and Reef Coral but there is one more you can but called fish behavior which is very good

ScubaFriend:
Yes the Paul Humann and Ned de Loach books and CD'S they are fantastic the Cd has interative games the book there are 3 in the main set Reef Fish, Reef Creatures and Reef Coral but there is one more you can but called fish behavior which is very good

I have the the CDs & the books by Humann & DeLoach; they are hands down the best ones I have ever used. Easy to use with big, beautiful pictures of the fish through their various phases, genders, etc. Wonderful! :thumb:

I'm only sorry they haven't done the Red Sea yet!

Meanwhile, I think when I get the chance I'll invest in their other books for the West Coast & South Pacific.

Fish Behaviour is good as well, but a bit dry reading [no pun intended :wink:].

FYI, I teach U/W Naturalist, Fish ID, etc.

SubMariner:
I have the the CDs & the books by Humann & DeLoach; they are hands down the best ones I have ever used. Easy to use with big, beautiful pictures of the fish through their various phases, genders, etc. Wonderful! :thumb:

I'm only sorry they haven't done the Red Sea yet!

Meanwhile, I think when I get the chance I'll invest in their other books for the West Coast & South Pacific.

Fish Behaviour is good as well, but a bit dry reading [no pun intended :wink:].

FYI, I teach U/W Naturalist, Fish ID, etc.

Where can you get the books at the best price?
Where do you teach out of?

I guess this thread is very old but I still hope someone can answer the question

ScubaFriend:
Yes the Paul Humann and Ned de Loach books and CD'S they are fantastic the Cd has interative games the book there are 3 in the main set Reef Fish, Reef Creatures and Reef Coral

But I don't see anything in the description that says it comes with interactive cd's. Where do you find those? Are they included in the box set of books? I don't see anything suggesting that.

The publisher of the Humann and DeLoach books has a great website that has a nice learning center and a good quiz section - those will keep you occupied for a little while :) You should also consider volunteering as a diver at the Tennessee Aquarium - it's a couple of hours away from you, but you only have to do one shift per month. You will learn more about fish doing that than any other opportunity I can imagine (at least that far inland).

Jackie

OK, this ia an old thread but still....

Go here:

http://reefnet.ca/products/fishes/caribbean/

THis AWESOME interactive CD was developed by a bunch of REEF volunteers in Canada. They have now partnered with New World Publications (The Humann / DeLoach publishing house.) It's the best fish ID tool I know. I used it to pass the REEF advanced tests.

Also, if you go to the REEF website (www.reef.org) you will find lots of resources for learning to ID fish.

Back
Top Bottom