Any Tips for training in Doubles/Drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It might be, I still haven't decided, I also have a HP100 that I got for my GF but I might just do what you guys have suggested and get the drysuit down in that then transition back to my doubles.

As for the redundancy, I have a Lift bag on the way that I could use If I did end up using my wetsuit.

I appreciate the advice, I'm just excited to get proficient with it all so I can start the Deco Procedures/Adv Nitrox and cave courses I want to take.

FWIW, doubles can tend to put divers head down, because of the weight distribution. The paradoxical reaction to that is to want to swim more head-up, and end up thinking that you need to move weight forward, when what you really need is more weight on the rear, so you can relax while being level without the rig trying to roll you forward. Good posture will play a big role too. They feel really nice once you get them dialed in, though. Good luck.

You have already received good specific advice. I will just tell you that I feel your pain. When I decided to go tech, I started using steel doubles and a dry suit, each for the first time, simultaneously. I felt like a total fool, as if I had never been diving before. It took a lot of practice to get the hang of things. Just keep at it--over and over and over and over.

I will give you one caution from my experience.

Because I was unfamiliar with everything and was out of proper balance a whole lot, I felt like the doubles were diving me more than I was diving the doubles. I felt like they were throwing me around. To compensate for that problem, I made my harness as tight as I could get it and still get in and out of it. That was a mistake. If you look at that harness now, you will see the marks indicating how many times I let it out (and how far) once I started figuring out what I was doing.

I use a smaller bungee octo style necklace to keep my HOG 32lb inflator hose in check from floating about. Just build the bungee necklace AROUND the harness, so that you can make it as small as you need it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm going to be heading down to ginnie springs the 7th-9th and just do some open water...like 18 ft at ginnie just to get used to everything, and if I feel comfortable by the end of the weekend, I'll go in the ballroom of ginnie, but we'll see. and I'll definitely try out these ideas for keeping the inflator hose in place.

Learning to dive doubles with twin 130s would be too difficult for me....

You have already received good specific advice. I will just tell you that I feel your pain. When I decided to go tech, I started using steel doubles and a dry suit, each for the first time, simultaneously. I felt like a total fool, as if I had never been diving before. It took a lot of practice to get the hang of things. Just keep at it--over and over and over and over.

I will give you one caution from my experience.

Because I was unfamiliar with everything and was out of proper balance a whole lot, I felt like the doubles were diving me more than I was diving the doubles. I felt like they were throwing me around. To compensate for that problem, I made my harness as tight as I could get it and still get in and out of it. That was a mistake. If you look at that harness now, you will see the marks indicating how many times I let it out (and how far) once I started figuring out what I was doing.
Are you sure you haven't been gaining weight?

i'm guessing you heard ginnie is currently closed - be sure to keep an eye on that before you drive down.

Yeah I saw that, I've been keeping an eye on that...It's pretty crazy how high the water has gotten. It's actually good timing, because my Reg's had to go be serviced due to some IP problems apparently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom