Any updates on swimmers ear concoction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It depends on how prone you are to getting swimmers ear. The water your swimming in will be a large factor. I personaly use it the day after a dive in the morning when I wake up if my ears are itching or irritated.

I sleep with a pillow over my head so both of my ears stay covered at night and it prevents the ears from breathing so conditions are right for breeding bacteria.

Each person is different and may be more or less prone to swimmers ear. It's a sure thing, once you get it you will remember all of the stages that led up to the pain and you'll know next time when to use it. :)

Has anyone tested the minimum one needs to use this stuff to get results? Can you get by with it once a day after your last dive? Or does one need it after every dive and snorkel trip throughout the day?
It probly varies greatly. I do fine with a quick rinse after each dive and shower of a trip, but the 5 minutes each side at the end of the day is commonly recommended.

I believe research indicated the key point was the solution had to be in your ear for a five minute duration, or it effectiveness was greatly reduced. As previously mentioned, I think the frequency would depend on a lot of factors. But my guess would be that once a day, after the day's diving, should be sufficient. I can't imagine any bacterial overgrowth occurring so quickly as to require more frequent use.
* Don't know if it was previously noted, but a key to avoiding swimmer's ear is to avoid scratching the ear canal, as might occur with cotton swabs.

Back
Top Bottom