Any whale sharks at Ningaloo in mid July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moose016

Contributor
Reaction score
I am heading to Australia in mid July, after a few days in Perth I was planning to head to exmouth in hopes of snorkeling with whale sharks. I have seen the season listed as April to July, can anyone familiar with the migration tell me whether mid July would give me a chance to catch them? Or is that too late/out of season?

Thanks a lot

I was up there this past winter. Got there in May and they were already there and had been for a while. When I left in the middle of August they were still there. Unusually long 2013 season so hopefully it'll be the same next year! Even if its not the Ningaloo reef is not to be missed, amazing marine life and mega fauna all over the place! Whale sharks, Humpbacks, Orcas, Mantas, all manner of sharks from reef to tiger, dugongs, turtles, the list goes on. My recommendations aside from the whale sharks are to dive the navy pier, and go to turquoise bay and drift snorkel from the beach as the reef is right there. Most of all ask the locals, there are quite a few dive shops that will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have and point you in the right direction!

Hope you have a great trip!

Id say your chances in July would be fairly good.

I'd say July would be great, based on the past few seasons. 2013 season ran with no missed until 02 October!! Crazy.

July has become a truly incredible month here on the Ningaloo Reef with all manner of creatures great and small. Hopefully that continues :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom