Anybody else having this problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Altamira

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Before I describe the problem, let me say that I've got a hip and knee replacement on the same side, so I can't use Jets or similar like I used to, and now need to use split fins--OK? I am now using XL Apollo Bio fins with spring straps, and I really like the way they work in the water, but I have a problem getting them off my feet in the water when wearing hard soled boots. When everything is dry, the boots slip in and out just fine, and there is ample room in the pocket for boot and foot. However, at the end of the dive there is like a vacuum seal that forms around my boot inside of the pocket, and I can't get my foot out without some serious pulling on the fin by my dive buddy. When diving, the fins feel fine on the foot, neither too tight or too loose, until it comes time to take them off. Any suggestions other than using medium soled boots, which I can do in most circumstances, but like the hard sole so I don't have to carry two pairs of boots to cover all circumstances? Thanks in advance.

True, but a hole in the bottom would get clogged with sand or mud, making it worthless...

The hole would need to be very small for that to possibly happen. All my fins have holes in the bottom and in almost 15 years I've never had any clog. In fact I'll bet you a beer almost never happens, now if you're walking in your fins through a muddy field maybe. Might start a poll, I'm curious now. Cheers.

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2014 at 11:50 PM ----------

Correction, my Jets don't have holes.

I had the same problem with a set of fins once. I tried drilling 1/2 inch holes in both the top and bottom of the fins and it didn't help. I then noticed that these particular fins (Atomic) did not have the usual raised strips on the bottom of the fin to hold up the sole of your boot and allow air to break any suction. I super-glued strips of rubber from an old set of fins to the bottom of the foot well. This helped some, but the only solution I came up with that finally fixed the problem was buying a bigger set of fins.

sorry bhuddasummer, I'm not one to argue much, but up here in Oregon half the diving I do is in really muddy sand stuff. I'd hate to see a person ruin a pair of fins, and get no where doing it. My mares raptors have the strips on the bottom so I never have that problem.

sorry bhuddasummer, I'm not one to argue much, but up here in Oregon half the diving I do is in really muddy sand stuff. I'd hate to see a person ruin a pair of fins, and get no where doing it. My mares raptors have the strips on the bottom so I never have that problem.

Neither am I, if you say you have had holes clogged with muddy sand then I believe you and guess I owe you a beer. I've never dived anywhere that had muddy sand so had a hard time imagining how they could get clogged. Learn a new thing every day. Thanks for the clarification. Cheers.

Gosh,I read half the stuff I post and I come off like a complete jerk. I believe I may owe you one also :)

i have the same issue, but have come to decide it is not really that much of a problem. I now view it as a bonus.

I have a set of el-cheapo fins that seem to fit my foot perfectly (through 3 different sets of booties). No squeezes, rubbing spots or painful pinches. But they are real hard to get off at the end of the dive.

At the start of a dive, i simple jam my foot into the fins and jump in the water. Most times i flip the strap up behind my foot "to keep them on". the straps are very loose and actually not needed.

But they require some serious tugs to get off at the end of the dive.

So i view the extra 5 seconds for removal as a very small price to pay for having an extremely high confidence level that i will never lose a fin (which sucks a bit since they are 25 years old and i will soon need a good excuse to buy some new ones...).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom