Anybody have the XCEL 9/7/6mm Titanium Polar Tri-Density Suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTodd77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Would like some feedback on this suit. Seems like it would be very warm, but Im wondering about added weight and/or flexibility issues.

I have one that I bought used in very nice condition. I'm mostly a tropical diver, but I try to get a few local San Diego dives in, and got certified here. It's warmer than the 7mm rentals I got certified in, but it isn't enough to make the local low-50s water really comfortable, at least for me. And I think mine (MLS) fits me pretty well. Most of the serious local divers dive dry.

It's definitely a bit constraining, but I haven't seen a 7mm-class wetsuit that isn't. It really isn't too bad in the water, just a chore to get in and out of. I like the integrated hood, that does help. The 9mm is just the chestplate, so it's mostly a 7mm with 6mm in the high-flex areas.

One minor annoyance is that I can't finish closing the front horizontal zipper myself. I don't dive solo, so there's always a buddy to ask, but I can close my various back-zips myself, and it annoys me slightly to need help with this. I can open it myself, just don't have the leverage to close it all the way. Ditto for others I've dived with that use this suit. Just worth mentioning. But that design, with the front lining piece you pull over your head, and then the top+hood pulled over the other way, does seem to be fairly water-tight for a wetsuit.

When I was looking for one a couple of years ago, I found some threads here on scubaboard that opined that it was the warmest wetsuit available. I don't have enough experience to say, but I would believe it. I do see them on some experienced local DMs and other local divers - the one's without drysuits. If you search, you should be able to find those threads.

Edit - just noticed the request for weight info. It doesn't seem to be excessively buoyant for a cold-water suit. FWIW, I use 12 lbs more wearing this than wearing my 3.2 in the tropics.

Last edited:
Whenever I see a post asking about this type of suit, I feel compelled to reply, as my very first purchased wetsuit was basically the Xcel Polar Quad, and I absolutely hated it. It's really about this style of suit, a front zip with attached hood. Once on, it was decent, but getting it on and off, or more specifically, getting the hood part on and off, was nearly impossible on my own. Additionally, I found the neck to be too constricting. Plenty of people like these suits, but definitely try it on, and make sure it is comfortable and easy to don/doff on your own. I personally believe that in normal situations, you should never have to get assistance from someone just to take off a wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom