Anybody Seen My Kid?......sailing *somewhere*

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How is the girl child doing??????? Call if you need anything

I'm calling you.

catherine96821:
The dean of Punahou just called me...he just found out an hour ago and he says it was her Marine Biology teacher, a very devoted teacher. They come in to Honolulu harbor tomorrow afternoon and will have grief counselors there..

Wow, that is really sad. I'm sure your daughter and her classmates must be quite devastated by the loss of their teacher, and in circumstances so personal. Hope your daughter is ok.

Hope all is going better. It is and will be shock for some time. The kid gloves will need to come out and be used for awhile. Poor kid, give her a big hug. I would be driving my boat out there if I didn't hear something. Big hugs from WI.

I would be driving my boat out there if I didn't hear something. Big hugs from WI.

I thought about it, believe me. I was going to go hail the poor captain on my VHF last night before she called, but I decided to settle down since they all have this man's demise to handle. I have a history of being a little nuts and high maintainence when it comes to the kids, and she is old enough now to be able to handle something like this without her mommy motoring across the channel.

But I did rant at the Coast Guard...I feel bad enough about that.

He was a very devoted teacher and we exchanged some underwater images, Reefcheck stuff, things like that. The last time I saw him, his wife was here at our house and overdue with their first baby.

I witnessed a blackout, as some of you know about a month ago. The other freediver moved in, and grabbed him, bringing him to the surface. This points to the importance of not only having another freediver in the water, but having a routine system where the acute attention is focused on each other, on the last portion of the ascent, and readiness to move in for the rescue, should unconsiousness ensue... having others present is not enough, an unconscious diver sinks rapidly to a depth sufficient to prevent rescue without tanks.

Of course, it could have been "something else" but I am guessing shallow water blackout from her description. I find this so very sad, because chances are, had he made it to the surface with an airway, he most likely would have resumed breathing.

thanks you all.

yes, she sounded okay around 8 pm she called from the boat.

As far as my "speculation"....he was above all things an ocean lover and a teacher, so I imagine he would be okay with any observations that could prevent this happening to another freediver.

**** happens out there, it's not Disneyland.

Yea, but sometimes I have to "get a grip".

I'm so sorry this happened, Catherine. Please give Alexa my best as well. I'm glad she has you for a support system, whether she's "tough" or not. She's going to need you.

Wow, just saw this. So sad! I hope your daughter is OK. I would be tramatized.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom