Anybody taking Blood Pressure meds???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks to all for the input, disclamers not withstanding :wink:

the downside that should make it a particular PITA is that near as I can tell from my research to this point, I can expect to be even MORE tired, which should make increasing my cardio activity a REAL chore.

Between work and my 8 year old and his activites, my tank is on about 50psi as it is, and it would seem that increasing the "go juice" would be completely counter-productive.

We shall see. Thanks again to all for the input. I'm off to the treadmill

P.S. Sorry I missed the Diving Med forum, there's like a bazillion seperate rooms in this place.

Welcome to Scubaboard. Just an aside, when I exercise and eat cleanly ( correctly ) I have much more energy than if I don't. Working out may whoop your but the first week or so, then after that you'll notice more stamina.

Now I need to get my BP checked again as I was borderline a year ago. ( before working out )

I take BP meds and have had no problems diving. It's a good idea to get a home BP machine and aim for a target of 120/80. When you start BP meds, even non beta blockers, it's normal to feel a little weaker until your body has a chance to adjust to the lower pressure, so you may need to persevere to get over that phase. Also with some meds, like the diuretics, you need to get your electrolytes and kidney function checked.

Just an additional thought. When I make repeated dives over several days (such as on a liveaboard or an extended dive trip) I make modifications to my med levels. For example, one of the meds included in my routine dosages is a diuretic. On dive days, this med is cut out thus helping to keep blood volume high and reducing any risk of DCS. I notice almost no difference in the way I feel and resume the med after the trip. Of course, this was all worked out with my physician.
And one word of encouragement. When I first learned I was to be put on BP meds (at about 40) I thought life as I knew it was over. Far from it. I lost 30 pounds, increased my exercise level, took up lifeguarding again, got my diving certification, and never looked back. The way I look at it, that was a couple of hundred dives and a LOT of fun ago, and those (medicated) years are some of the best in my life. I look forward to a whole lot more! Don't look at it as a life sentence...it's LIFE!
Hang in there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom