Anyone been to Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing no one has mentioned yet is the need for good treaded boots. You will be scrambling over ironshore and coral rubble both on-shore and in the water at just about every shore dive site except the "Leaps" - even they have ironshore cliffs you jump off of. Images of most of the entries can be seen here: Scuba Shore Diving Region: ABC Islands It's slick, sharp and frequently wet. Some of the south sites have sandy channels that bisect the ironshore - they're not always where the parking is so look around b4 you gear up. The best example I know is at Vista Blue - http://shorediving.com/Earth/ABC/BonaireS/Vista_Blue/c004508.jpg

At some sites people have piled up coral rubble indicating the best entry point also. Once you leave town except for a couple of traveling food trucks you won't find any food/water at any of the sites so bring your own as needed. We usually manage with water since no site is more than about 15-20 minutes from any resort property. If you go thru the "gate" north of town (clearly marked) you're committed to driving back around thru Rincon - nice drive - takes 20-30mins. From the road in some spots you can see the east shore.

Since just about every oceanfront dive resort is also on a named dive site, you can dive any of them, just check in at the shop. You don't have to but we often rent tanks for the day as a thank you - they provide lockers/showers/dive docks etc. Habitat is the only one that charges for this - I think it's still $5. There's about 3 shore dives off sandy beaches, Windsock, Bachelors and Pink.

Every resort has an affiliated shop, there's a few free-standing shops in town but south of town there's 3 options - Dive Friends at Port Bonaire, Wannadive at Windsock Beach (tank exch. only) or Buddy Dive at BelMar Condos.

All three have their fans, Dive Friends has the most locations island-wide and most of them are in convenient locations. Buddy has the drive-thru tank pickup at their north side location - it's just off the street. And Wannadive also has several N/S locations. Corollary to that, when you first arrive on Bonaire you're required to go through a Bonaire Marine Park orientation before starting to dive. Most shops/resorts do that around 9AM the next morning, takes about an hour and most shops ask you to do a self-buoyancy check afterwards on their house reef. Dive Friends is one of few that will do it on demand if you want to start diving sooner.

My top 10 dives in no order

Bari Reef
Cliff/LaMachaca
Salt Pier
Invisibles
Angel City
Vista Blue
Alice in Wonderland
Jeff Davis
Karpata
1000 Steps

Boat dives

Forest at Klein Bonaire
Jerry's Reef "" "" ""
Rappel

Other little quirks:

Service is really slow at restaurants. And they're almost reluctant to bring your check - sometimes you have to ask 3-4 times. They're not indifferent, they feel like you're their guest and should be allowed to stay as long as you'd like. At a now closed restaurant I've even seen that happen when people were waiting for tables.

Power is 127/50 so things with North American motors (hair dryer) run a little hot. Most electronics have universal chargers but in case you have some flash charger that won't - the larger shops have transformers and charging stations. Probably not the problem it was a decade ago.

Just got back from Bonaire on Sunday. We were a group of 6, stayed at Sand Dollar (3 bedroom condo), dove with Dive Friends. We had a blast. All the points brought up earlier in this thread are right-on.
We cooked all our food as we are vegetarians. For between dives I packed little baggies of mixed nuts. YUM. I was also very popular with the boat crew (we did 3 days boat diving as well as shore) as nuts are wicked expensive in Bonaire...:D
We had only one thing pilfered from the truck and that was only because we were stupid and left a funky watch on the console...duh. Otherwise everything was left undisturbed.
I have a crummy back so hubby had to lug gear...Therefore we used the easiest entry sites. Bari Reef (Sand Dollar house reef) was excellent and had a sand entry. Ditto Cha Cha Cha which is right next to a Dive Friends in town (convenient!). We loved Invisibles tho watch out where you step...there are holes. Wanted to dive Salt pier but the boat was there so we couldnt. Loved Forest which was a boat dive site.
Have a GREAT time!!!

Hey there!

I live in Bonaire, such a perfect dive island, and would recommend the following:

- 75% of the divespots are shore dives, so bring your high hard sole boots. You will need them :wink:

- Several dive resorts offer nirox/air tanks thta you can take into your car. BUddy dive for instance has a convenient drive thru. Make sure you bring your cCards.

- Only open heel fins, as somebody suggested before!

- There are 4 main regions to dive in: the west coast, east coast, klein bonaire and the NAtional PArk:
Klein is ony diveable by boat and some of the dives are really worth diving. Make sure you book a few boat dives. Normally these are cheaper as an all-inclusive package.
The Park and West coast offers plenty of easy dives and good variety, but there are over 90 divesites in the island, so you might need some advice to make the most fo your time.
Currently the best option to get information about dives, where to see any fish etc is www.bonairedivers.org . Is a pretty cool website with an interactive map with all the dives, fish, reviews etc.

Diving the east coast on your own is very dangerous without a local guide but for me, is the most beautiful part of the island.

Hope you have a good time in Bonaire )

Back
Top Bottom