Anyone been to Wakatobi recently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raja Ampat (Papua explorers, RADL, Sorido, MIsool, ), Komodo (Komodo resort), Alor (Alor Eco Divers)...I guess you've not been to Bangka (Gangga island resort) in your stays in N/Sulawesi.

No. Last time I was in Lembeh (mid last year), we asked about going to Bangka when we were at KBR, and were told flat out that it was a safety risk at the time and they wouldn't take anyone out there. I work in mining, so I knew a bit about what was going on up there, and can understand why they said no. Presumably it's let up a bit since then though.

Will look more into Raja Ampat though. I'd been having a bit of a look at it anyway, but wasn't sure if it really compared to Wakatobi. Thanks :)

No. Last time I was in Lembeh (mid last year), we asked about going to Bangka when we were at KBR, and were told flat out that it was a safety risk at the time and they wouldn't take anyone out there. I work in mining, so I knew a bit about what was going on up there, and can understand why they said no. Presumably it's let up a bit since then though.
How resorts would pretend anything to justify what they are not able to do...

Yes, there is mining going on, this will be a major issue in the next years and I really hope the gvt will stop that illegal business.
However unless you go diving in the (not so interesting) western side of the island there is absolutely no issue going to Bangka weather permitting.
I've stayed on Bangka almost every year since 2009 now. (OK "only" 2009-11-12-13-15) , I just came back last month from a very nice 5 days stay at Murex.

I can tell Bangka still rocks... and I hope that will stay like that for many years. Want some proofs? here's what it looked like not even a month ago.

Sahaung by Luko GR, on Flickr

Sweetlips school in soft coral by Luko GR, on Flickr

Yellow giant frogfish and Aswar by Luko GR, on Flickr

Coral bommie and glassfish school by Luko GR, on Flickr

Pontohi seahorse couple by Luko GR, on Flickr

Emperor shrimp on Ceratosoma Tenue by Luko GR, on Flickr

---------- Post added April 28th, 2015 at 11:42 AM ----------

but wasn't sure if it really compared to Wakatobi.
btw, what exactly do you call "comparable to Wakatobi"? I replied in terms of a combination of "diving interest+resort quality" though I am not sure we expect the same kind of diving...

btw, what exactly do you call "comparable to Wakatobi"? I replied in terms of a combination of "diving interest+resort quality" though I am not sure we expect the same kind of diving...

Similar marine life? I want somewhere that's got a good mix of little critters and bigger stuff.

Similar marine life? I want somewhere that's got a good mix of little critters and bigger stuff.
Oh ok... that said I am not sure Wakatobi delivers in terms of "bigger marine life stuff".

Raja Ampat : manta rays, wobbegongs, reef sharks, sweetlips, jackfish and cuda schools, incredible density of fish + all the nice small stuff from Indo (pygmy seahorse, nudis, octopus from blue ring to wonderpus). Only issue would be sometimes mediocre visibility, but the fish is so close...
Komodo : manta rays, schools of various fish, good muck too : nudis, frogfishes, etc. Impossible to get to the southern sites wit ha land based resort.
Alor : loads of fish schools (snappers, jackfish, etc.), hammerheads sometimes (school of 50 last august), reef sharks + excellent macro with rhinopias, nudis, seahorses, etc. Superfragilicalicious visibility but currents can be strong!!!
Bangka : some spots with lots of fish like sweetlip schools, whitetips, humphead parrotfish schools + lots of macro stuff, lots of nudis, pygmy seahorse kingdom, rare pink pipefish currently, octopii, etc. Good viz but shallow dives so sometimes wind and waves prevent diving all the sites.

Thanks for that info Luko, my daughter and I are heading to Bangka as part of the Murex Paradise trip starting at Bunaken and ending at Lembeh Resort where I have stayed over the past two trips to Sulawesi, really looking forward to it and your photos are just whetting my appetite, my dilemma will be macro v wide angle at Bangka

my dilemma will be macro v wide angle at Bangka
Yes, you nailed the main issue with Bangka...:D ... ask Aswar beforehand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom