Question Best Month to Dive Raja Ampat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
living4experiences

living4experiences

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm planning a trip to Raja Ampat, and this will, more than likely, be a one-time dive trip to Asia, so I want to do the best I can to plan well. I may do one week on a liveaboard and one week at a land resort, spending up to the maximum time on the visa of 30 days. To follow RA, I may dive in Bali or Wakatobi. I've looked at the Raja Ampat Marine Park website, which shows October to April to be the best months, based on less rainfall, than July & August and November & December. I would like to get feedback from your personal experience based on rain, wind, currents, migrating critters/animals, spawning events.

So, what month did you travel and what were the highlights and the downsides? Your comments are much appreciated!

I am under the impression Raja Ampat and Wakatobi have different "best" months. We are snorkelers. Went to Wakatobi Resort October, great clarity and calm. Went to Raja Ampat early January, same. Divers seemed ecstatic both places.

We just spent 10 days in mid September on the Aggressor and it was great. Lots of Mantas, Mobulas, Barracuda etc. Personally the only way I would do RA is by liveaboard as you can cover more area and won't miss any diving for travel days. We spent 4 days in the north and 5 days in the south.

Back
Top Bottom