Anyone else hate the word "newbie"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it just me or does anyone else loath the word "newbie"? I don't know what it is about the word but it drives me up a wall!! I can't put my finger on why it irks me but I think it has to be one of the worst words to leave someone's lips. I find it derogatory and silly. I don't know, just needed to see if I should see professional help :D.

Do you like the show, Scrubs? That word is coined frequently.

Is it just me or does anyone else loath the word "newbie"? .. I find it derogatory and silly....

Said a member of the National Sarcasm Society.:rofl3:

Newbies - we are all newbies at something.:wink:

"Newbie" does sound like the person using the word never got out of elementary school.
That describes it perfectly. If you want to sound like a 13-year old sitting at a game console, use "newbie" instead of "novice," "beginner," "newcomer," "neophyte," "fledgling," "initiate," etc.

Is it just me or does anyone else loath the word "newbie"? I don't know what it is about the word but it drives me up a wall!! I can't put my finger on why it irks me but I think it has to be one of the worst words to leave someone's lips. I find it derogatory and silly. I don't know, just needed to see if I should see professional help :D.

I don't mind it, but I prefer 'n00b' myself.

I like newbie better than grommet...

relax newbies. Its all about the hazing.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will cause me to commit rampage.
Scrubs is good. They also are permitted.

What's in a name? That which we call a Noob by any other name, would suck at skills.

(Okay, so that's not how the immortal bard wrote it, but looking at my forum title, I think it's pretty obvious that I have no problems with titles like "newbie" or "n00b")

I'd rather be a n00b than a dweeb. :wink:

Ron

I don't mind the word newbie, I use it all the time

Back
Top Bottom